Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 620 wont turn on, not happy about Dell product.

I'm not impressed with my Dell. I purchased in Feb 2012. Yesterday I tried to power it on but nothing. The power supply is fine. There is a red light on in the inside but the desktop will not power up. I trouble shooted online, from another computer, but found nothing. I called tech. support but since my warrenty ran out they want to charge me just to tell me what I have already figured out, that the mother board has failed..The computer is not even 2 years old yet! My first Dell lasted 10 years. Like I said tech service was no help. I imagine customer service won't be either. And this site shows no help either, I don't see were I can purchase a new mother board. A local computer tech looked at it, free of charge and guesses its the motherboard. I'm sure if I should try to find new mother board or purchase a brand new computer, which would NOT be another Dell.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 8th, 2013 14:00

How do you know it's not the power supply?

9 Posts

November 20th, 2013 10:00

I dont know if its the power supply, or the mother board or just the power switch itself.....Theres green light on rear and amber light on mother board When Power Cord Plugged in, fans do not turn on. I unplugged power cord, removed battery, unplugged power supply cord from mother board and hard drive, unplugged power button wires from mother board, and removed ram cards. I let pc set for awhile, then I held down power button for 20 seconds or so. I then plugged all cables back in, returned battery, and plugged power cord. After wiggling the clip were the power suppy cable enters mother board the fans kicked on and the power works. After reinstalling the ram cards my pc worked just fine for a week, until I shut it off. Now it will not power on again. I tried the above steps again but it did not work this time.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 21st, 2013 08:00

Paper Clip Trick may work.Green to Black (This is dangerous if you don't know what you are doing):emotion-3: If it does the power button board is broken and needs to be replaced.

You could also try unplugging all cords and holding power on until all lights go out then plugging ONLY power cord and see if it turns on.

If it does then put one thing back at a time until you find out where the issue is.

Most common is something on USB ports (printer, drive, shorted mouse) that is not passive but rather powered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=ixcWCrYpw3Y

9 Posts

November 21st, 2013 11:00

Everything has been unplugged, (mouse, keyboard, printer, and ethernet), since this problem has started.

I tried the paper clip trick, when power is plugged in the fan does turn on. Does that mean the power supply is fine?

After I removed the paper clip, I hooked the power supply cable back up to everything inside pc but it still does not turn on. So the problem has to be the mother board or the power button, correct? Were can I purchase a new button?

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 21st, 2013 12:00

Mine is the 620, not the 620s.

For the paper clip test I should leave hard drive plugged in? Because I had everything unplugged from cable. The fan stayed on the whole time I had power connected, about 30 seconds.

SuperMomN

Yes, for the paper clip test, you only remove the 24-pin P1 connector from the motherboard, everything else remains connected. 

Note: The only 100% method of testing a PSU, is to install a known working power supply.

Unplug the cord from the power supply, hold the power button in for about 15/20 seconds, to discharge the residue power, open the case, unplug the 24-pin power connector from the motherboard and jump the Green wire to one of the Black wires, reconnect the power cord and power the system on, if power supply, case fans and the hard drive run, then the PSU may be good.

Note: Do not remove any wires from the plug, use a small piece of wire or a paper clip as a jumper.

Bev.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

There are multiple models.

The 620 power board is not the same as the 620S power board.  KCRV8 is for the Mini TOWER NON S version. Some found that if you push the power buttton about 6 times pretty quickly it then fires up.

The fan coming on is not sufficient load.  If it comes on and stays on with hard drive attached and spinning I would say its likely the power supply is ok.

http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-12827/Dell-KCRV8-Inspiron-620/Detail

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

9 Posts

Mine is the 620, not the 620s

Do I have to buy through dell or can I get it anywhere? 

9 Posts

Mine is the 620, not the 620s.

For the paper clip test I should leave hard drive plugged in? Because I had everything unplugged from cable. The fan stayed on the whole time I had power connected, about 30 seconds.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

November 22nd, 2013 20:00

Regarding a new power supply, I use a Corsair 430M for my XPS 8500. Whisper-quiet and modular (plug-in) cables for less internal clutter.

$50 with free shipping and a $20 mail-in rebate available.

38 Posts

January 19th, 2014 11:00

Hi Supermom : my Inspiron 620 worked well for a while but lately i too was unable to power on normally using button in front bezel. The bezel was removed which allowed direct access to the power switch. By wiggling the switch with a toothpick power-on usually occurred but then it too failed. A new power cable was ordered ($15) and installed. Without the bezel in place it worked as advertised several times but when the bezel was mounted on the front and the power on button pressed nothing happened. The bezel was removed and a toothpick used to initiate power on but nothing happens - its DEAD.

Since the new power cable assy worked well when first installed i suspect (but cannot prove) that the cable itself is bad. I cannot explain why 2 power cables (original & replacement) shd fail but am willing to try a 3rd one unless someone can convince me otherwise. Any suggestions ??

Bewildered

9 Posts

January 19th, 2014 12:00

Since I originally posted this question my pc has been shut down twice and would not start. Each time I've done the tips listed in above responses, releasing stored energy and testing power with paperclip. I also replaced battery. I ordered a new power button but have not installed it yet. the last time I worked on pc I unplugged power supply and when plugging it back in I wiggled it within slot and now pc will power up. ???? So I really have no idea how I fixed it. It's working for now and don't plan on powering it down to see if it'll restart. Lol.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

It's not that big of a job to replace a motherboard. It involves removing and cleaning the heatsink and CPU, unplugging some cables and removing some screws. I did an OptiPlex 390 (business version of Inspiron 620) just last week.

I have exactly the same problem with my 14 month old Inspiron 660. I don't think it is worth fixing. NEVER Dell again. My computer shop says the motherboard is too big a job to repair, maybe Dell would repair it. But I can't even contact them anymore.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 19th, 2014 13:00

SuperMomN

:emotion-21:

Bev.

No Events found!