Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 8th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 620 wont turn on, not happy about Dell product.

I'm not impressed with my Dell. I purchased in Feb 2012. Yesterday I tried to power it on but nothing. The power supply is fine. There is a red light on in the inside but the desktop will not power up. I trouble shooted online, from another computer, but found nothing. I called tech. support but since my warrenty ran out they want to charge me just to tell me what I have already figured out, that the mother board has failed..The computer is not even 2 years old yet! My first Dell lasted 10 years. Like I said tech service was no help. I imagine customer service won't be either. And this site shows no help either, I don't see were I can purchase a new mother board. A local computer tech looked at it, free of charge and guesses its the motherboard. I'm sure if I should try to find new mother board or purchase a brand new computer, which would NOT be another Dell.

38 Posts

January 19th, 2014 13:00

Hello Supermom: you wrote :"I ordered a new power button....."  Does this mean entire power cable assembly ?  If so maybe my experience will help. When my  new assy arrived it was installed on the metal front panel but the plastic bezel was NOT installed. Instead of using the plastic power on button on the bezel a toothpick was used to press the tiny switch which begins the power on sequence. That worked well several times so the plastic bezel was then installed but the power on failed using the integrated button. After removing the bezel the "toothpick method" no longer worked and the PC is now dead. Possibly the cable assy was defective - if so maybe a third one will be the charm that works consistently.

Bewildered

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

January 19th, 2014 16:00

The light on the motherboard only means it's getting "flea power", not that the power supply is working properly.

What's the color of the power button on front of PC and is it steady or blinking?

Bunch of Inspiron 620 motherboards listed on eBay and there's always Dell Spare Parts, 1-800-357-3355

38 Posts

January 20th, 2014 06:00

Hi Ron: you wrote: "The light on the motherboard means its getting flea power" which i assume means an orange light visible with the front bezel removed. There is also a small green lite on the back near the power cord plug. But since my Inspiron won't turn on there are no lights on the front around the power on switch. But the orange and green lights are both on which apparently means only "flea power" but the PSU and/or motherboard could still be bad. Do you agree ?

Bewildered

38 Posts

January 20th, 2014 09:00

Hello again SuperMom: another Dell poster provided a solution that works for me. On the front metal panel (not plastic bezel)  is a"block" with 2 USB ports and 2 black audio ports. The fix consists of unplugging all 3 cables from the motherboard and apply power - my PC started up immediately. Each cable was re-connected at motherboard end and power applied - it continued to work as advertised. After all 3 cables were re-connected as well as device cables (monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc) it continued to work normally.

This is a v-e-r-y strange fix but for some unknown reason worked for me at least once. Maybe some day we will learn why it works and why Dell failed to broadcast this fix to frustrated customers. I'm lucky that my only expense was $15 for a power cable assembly + a lot of time.

For more info click on link below -

====================================================================================================

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19538237/20504797.aspx#20504797

==============================================================================================

Still Bewildered (former Dell customer)

38 Posts

February 25th, 2016 06:00

Hi SuperMom: still having the problem ?  This works for me consistently (lately) - (1) unplug power cord (2) press and hold power-on button for one second [supposedly discharges a capacitor] (3) pray.

Also i have only 3 USB cords attached to rear ports - nothing in front. If you have more than 3 devices, unplug un-needed (prtr) until after boot completes.

Bewildered Bob

9 Posts

March 28th, 2016 12:00

Hello. Yes had replaced the power switch/harness and have not had a problem. Until now. Any time the pc is switched off incorrectly,  like when power goes out it will not turn on. But if its shut down properly it'll turn on just fine....I've tried disconnecting all device cords and also internal cords, pressing power button for couple seconds then reconnecting everything, Didn't Work. If i use paper clip to jump power cable, the top fan will turn on but still pc will not turn on. I had to walk away but i will retry disconnecting the ports on the front, like was suggested a year ago.......My first Dell lasted 10 yrs, this peice of [Amin Note: Post Edited per TOU policy] has been nothing but trouble, between the power issue and then dealing with security updates failing for 3 months before they decided to give me windows 10 for free.

9 Posts

March 28th, 2016 17:00

I have gotten it to turn back on. This is what I did:

*left everything externally & internally unplugged, removed ram cards for over a hour.

*reconnected the internal power cord to mother board, and plugged power switch cable into motherboard. Then connected external power cable. 

*pressed power button; nothing, Pressed * held pwr button; nothing

I continued fiddling with the cords & button. Still nothing.

I noticed that the white clip on power cable (that ran into motherboard) wasn't fully latched even though the clip looked to be inserted all the way. 

*removed plug and reinserted it as level as possible until the white clip latched properly. It turned on the first time I pressed the power button. It beeped until I plugged all the internal cables back in and inserted the ram cards.

*reconnected the external, device cables. It will turn on and off no problems now.

I'm not sure exactly what fixed it. Either the power cable clip (which has power) that runs into motherboard was not seated properly Or the power cable port on motherboard is going bad.
I don't know.

9 Posts

February 3rd, 2017 11:00

UPDATE: I still occasionally have an issue with my PC not turning on.

-If it is powered down properly thru system it will turn back on correctly.

-If the power goes out in my home & the pc shuts down that way it will not start up when button is pushed. Or if the pc would "freeze" for some reason.

**If I remove/replug or wiggle the 24pin power connector (that runs from power supply to the Motherboard) I can get the PC to turn on. I have done this like 4 times now, each time the Pc will power on.

Not sure which part is bad, the plug on the power connector or the port on the motherboard.  

No Events found!