Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2011 20:00

Inspiron 620s Case Noise

Hello all,

I have seen this issue across the Internet before, and thought that I could deal with this, but sadly, it is getting on my nerves day in and day out. I just bought a brand new Inspiron 620s (The package with the included 20 inch monitor). Sadly the front of the case rattles at times, which is quite odd. It seems like the optical drive continues to be on and causes this? Either way, a quick push down on the front face plate fixes it, but within five minutes, it is back again. This has been reported multiple times on the Internet from what I found.

Besides disabling the optical drive (possibly fixing the issue?), is there anyway to fix this? I currently have the PC upright, but have not tried placing it on it's side yet to see if it would fix it, as my desk setup would not allow this too much.

Thank you all!

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 21st, 2011 03:00

My older Dimension E510 has a loose front panel Bezel.  I just stuck a paper wedge in one corner and it fixed it.  

If the CD/DVD drive is spinning all the time (if that is the case) that indicates a problem that should be taken care of.  Optical drives do not run all the time.  As this is a new PC, call Dell support to get it corrected.  Only Dell support can get it corrected under warranty, we are just users helping users on this forum.

Towers are not designed to operate on their side.

2 Posts

November 21st, 2011 06:00

Yeah, I do not really think it is the optical drive, it was just a stab out there in the dark to maybe pinpoint thise issue. In all reality, it does seem like a front bezel issue, and how it may be not fully pushed against, causing this rattling noise.

The computer does have rubber mounts both ways, so I can lay it vertically or sideways, so I'm sure it would not be much of an issue. Though I'd rather keep it how it is now.

I'll try the paper wedge, but we shall see.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

November 21st, 2011 10:00

Many optical drives are only designed to be used with the disc tray horizontal.  If you put it on it's side, it will work but you may not be able to use the optical drive if it's vertical.

It may just be the bezel is not installed correctly or fully.   HERE is the Dell service manual, including a section on the front bezel.

No Events found!