Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2016 20:00

Inspiron 660 Display Issues

Hi, I am trying to troubleshoot this Inspiron 660 for someone. And well, it is not giving me a whole lot of options. 

I have tried all troubleshooting guides that are available online for it... re-seating the RAM separately, clearing CMOS, nothing works. I also tried a known working PCIe video card and get the same results.

When the power button is pressed, light on front stays blue. The Ethernet port has also shown working lights, but most of the time not. Fans spin at minimal speed. Hard drive seems to power on but I dont think it is reading anything or spinning. Every once in a while I will notice it seems to try to reboot itself, into this same "zombie-like?" state.

There is no video initialization at all, so nothing is on the screen. And with VGA input selected on my monitor, it goes into power saving mode. HDMI input says 'no HDMI cable'.

Any ideas as to something I have missed? 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2016 09:00

Assuming this meant the monitor LED? "light on front stays blue"

Check the status of the Inspiron 660 Desktop power button LED:
Off = The computer is either turned off, in hibernate mode, or is not receiving power
White = The computer is on
Yellow = The computer is in sleep/standby mode or there might be a problem with the system board or the power supply
Yellow blinking = The system board cannot start initialization or in an S3 power state. There is a power problem, a device may be malfunctioning or incorrectly installed

Any desktop beep codes?

6 Posts

October 17th, 2016 14:00

I actually was referring to the power light on front of the machine, my bad. It just stays white.

No Beeps at all.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 17th, 2016 15:00

White = The computer is on
No beeps is also good.

Assuming you are testing a PCIe x16 video card? Does the video card require a power supply lead connected to it?

We validated the following PCIe x16 video cards =

CJF72 Nvidia Geforce 640GT OHGA3 (DP/DVI/HDMI) (Windows 8)
YG17P Nvidia Geforce 640GT OHGA3 (DP/DVI/HDMI) (Windows 7)
98KC7 Nvidia GeForce GT 620 M117N (VGA/DVI/HDMI) (Windows 8)
51NCR AMD Radeon HD7570 M209A (DVI/HDMI) (Windows 8)
0NTVR AMD Radeon HD7570 M209A (DVI/HDMI) (Windows 7)

6 Posts

October 18th, 2016 14:00

The video card that I am testing with a EVGA GTX960. The PSU is a Corsair CX600M. This same card had previously worked in the system but it has been running on just the onboard video (and that mentioned PSU) for a few months now as far as i know. The card is connected to power properly.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

October 18th, 2016 17:00

I do not see anything in the Bios to switch from Discrete video card to the Onboard Intel video VGA/HDMI ports. So simply removing the Discrete video card should enable the Onboard Intel video automatically. The motherboard does have a "CMOS Clear Jumper" on it by the four SATA ports.

* Turn the system off
* Disconnect the monitor from the system
* Lay the system on its rightside
* Remove the cover
* Move the jumper from pins 1/2 to pins 2/3
* Wait 30 seconds
* Replace the jumper on pins 1/2
* Replace the cover
* Stand the system up
* Connect the monitor to only the blue VGA onboard port
* Turn the monitor on, then the system

Does anything appear on the monitor? If not then I am stumped!

6 Posts

October 19th, 2016 09:00

Yup Have tried the Jumper already... No change on the monitor...

Lol yeah it has me stumped too! I have worked on Dells for the better part of 15 years now and they have always been been all about some helpful beepings to let ya know what is wrong. This one seemed to just go all comatose with no warning at all....

I will tell him it needs a motherboard. Unless anyone else posts a magical cure here in the next day or so...

Thanks for trying, Chris M.!

No Events found!