Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2013 13:00

Inspiron 660 integrated sound

This may sound stupid but here it is.

Since beginning of januari i have a Inspiron 660, I5 proc, 8Gb mem, 2TB hd, Nvidia Gfore graphic, integrated 5.1 surround sound.

I still have Sound Blaster 4.1 surround speakers; green and black 3.5 mm jacks.

The pc only has pink (mic in), green (speaker or headphone) and blue (line in).

Helpdesk told me only green jack suffices (eh, left/right/for/aft on two analog wires?) but i need new speakers.

Question: how do i really connect the speakers to enjoy the advertised surround sound?

1.1K Posts

February 4th, 2013 14:00

Hi Steffenwolt,

Inspiron 660 does not have Integrated 5.1 audio card. The system has 2.1 channel audio, hence, 4.1 surround speakers would not work.

Please reply for any clarifications.

February 5th, 2013 04:00

Hi Vikram,

That's what i was afraid of, but...Sound Cards "Geïntegreerd krachtig 5.1-kanaals HD-geluid" or ïntegrated powerfull 5.1 HD-sound"  is what is stated in the spec.

I now have a serious conflict with Dell because they have not dellivered what they promised.

Anyway tks for your confirmation of my suspicion.

Regards Steffem

1.1K Posts

February 5th, 2013 12:00

Hi Steffenwolt,

The information shared by Estimated Prophet is correct. The connection should be like this:

• Front cable (green): To green jack (line out)
  • Rear cable (blue or black): To blue jack
  • Center/Sunwoofer cable (orange, yellow or pink): To orange or yellow jack.

Once the cables are connected, please refer to this video to configure 5.1 speakers: http://bit.ly/WMTJ9K
Note: I believe your system has Windows 7 installed. The above video is for Windows 7. It shows how to select  'Quadraphonic' audio channel. Make sure you select '5.1 Surround' instead of 'Quadraphonic' .

@ Estimated Prophet: Thank you for sharing the information.

Please reply for any further questions.

February 5th, 2013 07:00

The Conexant SmartAudio HD driver can reconfigure the following jacks on the rear panel of the Inspiron 660:

Blue jack: Line In or Surround

Pink jack: Microphone or Center/Subwoofer

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound: Manage Audio Devices

Under the Playback tab right-click Speakers > Configure and select your speaker setup

February 5th, 2013 10:00

Another way to configure the jacks:

Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Dell Audio > Advanced

February 5th, 2013 14:00

Hi Guys,

Works like a charm now. Thanks a bundle for all the assistance.

Regards Steffen

1.1K Posts

February 5th, 2013 16:00

Hi Steffenwolt,

I am glad that the speakers are working fine. Do get back to us for any issues in future.

1 Message

February 8th, 2013 17:00

Vikram,

Will this set-up also work for a Dell 5650 5.1 Surround System and Windows 8 on an Inspiron 660?

1.1K Posts

February 12th, 2013 13:00

Hi Sandman52,

This setup should work for Dell 5650 5.1 surround system with Windows 8 on Inspiron 660.

Please reply for any further questions.

To know more about Dell’s products, services and drivers & downloads, please go to http://dell.to/QjjZDA

1 Message

February 13th, 2013 11:00

Hi. Like Steffenwolf I have a 4.1 speaker system with two jacks, black and green. If I understand you correctly, I should connect green cable to green jack and black cable to blue jack. As I only have two jacks the pink jack remains unused and my four speakers and subwoofer will function properly. In my case your center/subwoofer step do not apply?

No Events found!