Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 1st, 2014 19:00

Inspiron 660 on Windows 8.1 will not boot

There is no light on the front or back when the power button is depressed.  I have turned the surge protector off and on.  All other peripherals that are using the surge protector are fine.  I have changed the the plug on the surge protector that I am using for the computer, and also plugged it directly into the electrical outlet.  

I have also removed all of the cords from the back of the box then plugged back in.  I have pulled the power plug out and depressed the on button for 20 seconds then plugged it back in (I searched for solutions and that was one option) and it didn't help.  

What else can I do? 

332 Posts

July 1st, 2014 20:00

Hi Markas_SF,

Thank you for writing on Dell Community

I would suggest that you run the diagnostics on the computer by following the steps mentioned in the video below and check if there is any issue with the hardware on your system.

Please share the results and error messages that you get in the diagnostics.

Let us know your findings.

4 Posts

July 1st, 2014 21:00

I can't run diagnostics because the PC won't start.  

332 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 01:00

Hi Markas_SF,

Dell Inspiron 660 comes with diagnostic indicators. If the computer is not starting up you can refer to the diagnostic indicators.

First I’d like to know The Inspiron 660 power button light (bicolor LED) located on the front of the computer illuminates and blinks or remains solid to indicate different color state.

Second I’d like to know if you are getting any beep codes. The Inspiron 660 system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes, identify various problems. Please let me know how many beeps you get.

Please reply so that we could assist you further.

4 Posts

July 2nd, 2014 07:00

When I press the power button, nothing happens.  No lights on the front or back.  No beeps at all. 

332 Posts

July 3rd, 2014 01:00

Hi Markas_SF,

It seems that the power supply and the system board have gone faulty on the system.

Please Private message me the service tag of the system to check on the what warranty options are available and we can assist you on that.
To send a Private message, click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message

Let us know your findings.

4 Posts

July 5th, 2014 10:00

I sent my service tag 2 days ago and haven't had a response.  Perhaps Farooq A is not available at this time.  Do I need to go a different route with resolving this problem?  Thanks.  

No Events found!