Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 24th, 2015 21:00

Inspiron 660 sound driver

I bought an Inspiron 660 with Windows 8.0 installed in late 2013. I upgraded it to Windows 8.1 with the approval of Dell support. From looking through the log, there were some Windows updates last Friday. Since that time I have had several problems with Windows (Control Panel will not load but sub-menus do load, and the Windows Store never loads). The problem I am concerned here is that the sound drivers are not working. I have done a reboot and then gone into the hardware tests, everything passes hardware wise, including producing sound over the connected speakers. I have followed the various instructions Dell has given to fix the problem, including completely deleting and forcing the re-installation of the drivers. One other recommendation was to install the enhanced driver for the chip I have. As soon as I did that and rebooted, I was given an error message that the chip cannot handle the enhanced driver. I have asked Dell for help, but they could not help me. I have run Malwarebytes (the paid version) and CCleaner to see if there were any viruses. Both came up negative. Any suggestions?

9 Posts

March 30th, 2015 23:00

I finally figured what happened on17 March 2015. AVG did look at a Windows file and put it in quarantine. It has nothing to do with Dell or the sound drivers. I found the solution on AVG's Malware website:

I solved the issue by going to the AVG archive, finding the event in which my audio system was affected. i believe it was called system32/spool/drivers/x64/3/old/1/printconfig.dll
anyway, i restored only that event where all this info was deleted. i restarted my computer and everything was back to normal

I am glad for finally solving the problem. Thanks, Chris for all of your help and support. You are an asset to Dell. Wishing you the very best.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 27th, 2015 20:00

We will only deal with the audio questions on this board. The control panel and store should be addressed on the Windows 8 board.

What specific Conexant audio driver did you re-install? If the audio is producing sound over the speakers, explain what you mean by, "the sound drivers are not working"?

9 Posts

March 28th, 2015 09:00

I have most of the Microsoft problems fixed (maybe the sound is even a Microsoft Registry problem). So I will only deal with the sound issue here.  When I click an F12 when I get the Dell symbol during boot up, I can run through the hardware tests (including the sound test) and it all passes. I can hear sound coming out of my speakers.

When I click on the speaker on the task bar (it has a red circle with a white X next to it), the system tries to fix the problem. The message that appears is "Starting audio services...: and then "One or more audio service is not running."  Then I check for additional information and there is a message:

One or more audio service isn't running
Not fixed
Not Fixed
Both the Windows Audio and the Windows Audio End Point Builder services must be running for audio to work correctly. Atleast one of these services isn't running.

The following information makes me believe it might be a Microsoft problem:

Sound
Troubleshoot problems that prevent your computer from playing or recording sound.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows
Playing Audio
Find and fix problems with playing sound.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Corporation
Hardware and Devices
Find and fix problems with devices and hardware.
Package Version:
Publisher:
Microsoft Windows

I did totally remove the sound drivers and then reinstalled them from Dell. Under the Device Manager -> Sound, video, and game controller header are:

"Conexant SmartAudio HD" and "High Definition Audio Device"

I then went to the Search tool on the pop-out menu on the right part of the screen and looked for "change sound card settings." The message came up: "This system cannot play audio because the Windows Audio Service is not enabled. Would you like to enable the Windows Audio Service?" I pressed Yes and did tests for the Conexant SmartAudio HD Speakers (this is set as my default). All tests failed, but when I go to Sounds tab, it says that the Windows Default is set. If I click the Properties button, it allows me to update the driver, it says that the driver is already the latest. (Conexant, 8/6/2012, 8.50.12.0, Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatible Publisher)

On the Event Tab
Information

Device HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_50A1&SUBSYS_10280581&REV_1001\4&F73A71F&0&0201 was deleted.

Class Guid: {4D36E96C-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

General Tab
Device Status
This device is working properly.
Thank you for your offer to help
Please let me know if there is any other information you might need to help me solve this problem
Wayne

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 28th, 2015 17:00

Did you have any of these audio issues when running Windows 8? Have you run the Intel Chipset update here?

9 Posts

March 28th, 2015 18:00

The system came with Windows 8.0. I wanted the Window marker on the task bar, so I immediately updated to Windows 8.1. Everything worked great until March 19, 2015 (for at least 1.5 years).I tried backing out the updates from that date, but the back-out failed. I went to the store where I bought it and they suggested reverting the sound driver to the previous version. Apparently, this worked for some people. Thank you again for your help.

9 Posts

March 28th, 2015 19:00

I reinstalled the Conexant driver and noticed that the newest driver for the Inspiron 660 was from October 2013 and was listed as for Windows 7 systems. Are there no drivers specifically for Windows 8 or 8.1?

4 Operator

• 

5.2K Posts

March 28th, 2015 22:00

Dell doesn't always provide drivers for new operating systems . You will need to find the Win 8 driver yourself. Conextant will have one for their more recent audio. You can search the Web for the driver. I did this for a touchpad driver for Win 8 on an old laptop. I actually found the driver on Dell's site, but not among the drivers for my laptop, but a more or less generic driver for Win 8.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 29th, 2015 14:00

This driver dated October 17, 2013 is for Windows 8.1.
www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

This driver dated March 18, 2013 is for Windows 8.0.
www.dell.com/.../DriversDetails

9 Posts

March 29th, 2015 17:00

Thank you Chris,

I downloaded both the 32-bit and the 64-bit October drivers and each did not solve the problem. I did notice that they were listed for Windows 8.1. I am starting a search of the Microsoft site for Windows Audio and Windows Audio End Point Builder services. When I go through the diagnostics, it says that the drivers are OK but that these two services are not running. When I went to the Task Manager and looked at the Services tab, I noticed that Windows Audio was not running adn it would not restart. Endpoint builder is running, but it depends on Windows Audio to work. I will look into this a bit more.

Wayne

9 Posts

March 29th, 2015 17:00

When I try to start the service Windows Audio, it comes up with the error message:

Windows could not start the Windows Audio service on the Local Computer

Error 0x800706cc: The endpoint is a duplicate

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

March 30th, 2015 21:00

I think you need to start over. This is not a hardware failure issue. It is an operating system issue. Ask the guys on the operating system board how to start over. Get the Dell installed Windows 8 functioning. First, save all of your data to dropbox, DVD, USB key, etc.

No Events found!