Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 4th, 2016 13:00

Inspiron 660s: Hard Drive Failure. Need Advice Please.

Long story short my sister gave me an Inspiron 660s that she received as a gift a few years ago (fully legit).  She said it wasn't working anymore and I could have it.  I suspected a failed hard drive and after several diagnostic tests later it was confirmed the the original WD Blue had crashed; full failure. Now here is where I need advice:

1. When she received it it did not come with a physical Windows 8.0 OS disk.  It was pre-installed and then later upgrading via her work's IT department  to 8.1.

2. I cannot access the Windows code as it is in the BIOS.

3. I have a working laptop hard drive with Windows 7 installed and tried hooking it up to see if it would take realizing that this was a long shot at best.  As you probably concluded it wasn't recognized.

4. I was thinking of wiping one of my hard drives and doing a clean install of Windows 10.

Question: With a new hard drive (or possibly an SSD) would #4 work or would I still have issues with the BIOS and embedded Windows product code?

Question: What would you suggest that I should try?  It is a Nice small system and everything is clean and stable.  I have someone who is in need of a system but cannot afford one and I thought I would give her something that would meet her needs.

Thanks.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

October 4th, 2016 13:00

ROUTE29

re: 4. I was thinking of wiping one of my hard drives and doing a clean install of Windows 10.

Yes, this should work, but for this you will need to buy either a OEM copy of W-10, that has it's own product key.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/microsoft-windows-10-home-64-bit-windows/4423102.p?skuId=4423102

https://softwarekeep.com/microsoft-windows-10-home-edition-32-bit.html?gclid=CNXh5ev3wc8CFQGSaQod5A4LMQ

The free upgrade version of W-10, from either Windows 8, 8.1, 7 ended on July 26.   

Bev.

No Events found!