Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 17th, 2012 00:00

Inspiron One 2205 Power Down Issue

Hi there,

I have had my Inspiron One for about 18 months, and around 4 months ago I started coming across an issue. Under above-average use (playing a flash game online, for instance) it would sometimes shut down after a couple hours, and be unable to turn back on unless I unplug the AC adapter from the wall then plug it back in.

Recently it started becoming more common, though only under major stress, such as having a few games open for a long period of time, or having too many programs open. I started using a program called CoreTemp to monitor the heat, and the computer seems to idle at around 45, jump to 55 when I surf the net on text-only pages, and jump to 65-70 when I play games. Clearly this is an issue, though I generally just ignored it (bad idea.)

Last week I purchased some proper games for the PC, and have started playing them with the settings all at the minimum, in a windowed screen, with the only other running programs being Steam and CoreTemp. With the games running, the temp would sit at about 65 until cutscenes or parts with lots of sprites on screen, at which point it would jump to 70, or just shut off, once again needing the AC adapter to be unplugged, then plugged back in.

Today I decided to try something else, seeing as I am past warranty, and started using the PC with the back plate off. The PC now idles at 35 degrees, and when playing these games sits at 45-50 degrees, though the computer still shuts down, requiring the unplug/plug again. 

My Dell Inspiron One 2205 (non touchscreen) has no internal changes, though I have been intending on upgrading from 4GB RAM to 8GB, but I don't see the point if this issue continues to occur, and with a lack of this issue being discussed already, I thought I would ask here for help and or advice.

Thanks, Daniel

NB: All temperatures are in Celsius.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 17th, 2012 13:00

Hi Denial048,

I recommend you to download the following drivers in the order given below:

BIOS: http://dell.to/TrBAvq

Chipset: http://dell.to/TrBRP5

Video: http://dell.to/12whzYI

For video drivers, click on the link above, select the Operating system from the drop down list, click on ‘Video’ and select the appropriate driver and install.

While flashing BIOS do not use the system till it restarts and comes up to the desktop.  Restart the system after each driver installation.

Please check the system status and revert for further assistnace

7 Posts

December 17th, 2012 14:00

Hi Sujatha,

Thanks for the response, I downloaded and installed the drivers listed. Here is a short list of what occured:

Bios:

The BIOS version is same or lower than current BIOS version.

Press OK to exit.

Chipset:

Installation Complete.

Video:

Installation complete (warnings occured during installation). View Log for details.

I couldn't see anything in the Log to indicate the errors, but before I closed the Install Manager, a window popped up,  with the following:

Could not load file or assembly 'MOM.Implementation' or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.

The same message popped up after a reboot too.

What should I do here?

7 Posts

December 18th, 2012 02:00

Also, I would just like to confirm that the crash just happened again, after playing Warhammer 40,000: Dawn Of War for about an hour; the temperature was at about 55 degrees.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 18th, 2012 14:00

Hi Denial048,

I suggest that you to run diagnostics. . To run diagnostics restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F12 key every two seconds. This will start the One-time boot menu. Using arrow keys select ‘Diagnostics’ and hit enter. This will run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system which may take around 5 minutes.  Next Press N for no when it asks you to continue Memory test.

Next the option listed will be: ‘Test Memory’, ‘Test System’ and Exit. Please select ‘Test System’.  Then there will be option to run ‘Express test’, ‘Extended Test’, ‘Custom Test’ and ‘Symptom Tree’. Select Custom test and click on Fan and hit enter. Reply with the status of the test for further assistance.

7 Posts

December 18th, 2012 14:00

I have just run the Fan Test, and all results passed, but an error did pop up:

Error Code 5D00: 0009
Msg: UUTUSBTM - DEVICE_INITIALIZATION_FAILURE User must reattach unit on Root Hub port 1

But after that, it ran four tests, in this order: 
** CPU Fan - Fan On/Off Test **
** CPU Fan - Show Fan RPM Test **  
** System Fan - Fan On/Off Test **
** System Fan - Show Fan RPM Test **

All of which said they passed.

7 Posts

December 19th, 2012 21:00

I have just had a thought, the AC adapter could be overheating, causing the power to shut off and not be allowed to turn on until it is unplugged and plugged back in. It is quite hot to the touch at the moment, so I may have to find a way to help keep that cool for now.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 20th, 2012 12:00

Hi Denial048,

Please check the status of the Ac adapter LED when the system is turned off. You may also try with the known good Ac adapter.

Please reply if you have any further questions.

7 Posts

December 22nd, 2012 00:00

The light on the cord is blue, the adapter itself doesn't have a light. When the computer crashes, the light changes from blue to off completely.

If I had a known good adapter I would try it, but currently do not have access to one.

• 

3.3K Posts

December 23rd, 2012 14:00

Hi Denial048,

I request you to send the system service tag to check the warranty status to assist you further

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

1 Message

January 1st, 2013 07:00

I have had the same issue from day one of owning the Inspiron One.   It has nothing to do with running games.  I never have played a game on mine.  I use it only for simple emails, searching recipes, etc.  I do not even use it for Facebook.  My husband is an CIO guy and he has run numerous diagnostics
.  I reported the problem while under warranty but they never came up with a solution.  I am now at my breaking point and looking for answers too.  Mine is the touchscreen - which I do not use this function....its cool....but....not very practical.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2013 13:00

Hi all, I just wanted to give you pointers about this computer heat issues from my own experience. I was given this computer because it wasn't even turning on after being used for two years on a desk. The power supply was fine and wasn't buzzing or overheating. If you are out of warranty and don't mind working on your computer, I suggest you take it apart to clean it. As soon as I opened the case, I removed the motherboard metal shield and lightly retightened the heatsink screws on the CPU and GPU. I then dissasembled the heatsink fan and it clean it with a brush and compressed air (it was really dirty!). I then put everything back together and the computer was able to boot into Windows 7 succesfully. As the OP said with CoreTemp enabled the CPU temps raise under load (obviously). In my cleaned system, the max temp was about 55 and it would idle at around 38-40. Without the shield and without the back case it would idle at around 29 degrees, this indicates that the case is not properly ventilated by design, so to be honest I don't think replacing parts is going to fix the case ventilation design problem.

I made some modifications to the case and now my computer idles at around 25 degrees and it maxes at about 35 under heavy load (full HD video, 3D games). 

I modified the case (you would have to drill a hole with a hole saw, I also drilled some extra holes with a small drill bit, drill in reverse to avoid cracking and snaping the case) and installed a 92 mm PWM fan on top of the CPU/GPU area that I connected to the empty MXM Fan connection (cost me about 10 bucks on ebay, and it's super quiet!). Another thing all of you Inspiron 2205 owners can do is to undervolt the AMD processor with K10STAT to further reduce heat, noise and extend the life of the components. Hope this helps as I believe this computer rules, it just needs a little bit of fresh air!

7 Posts

April 19th, 2013 14:00

Thank you so much Yoshimail! I still have my Dell, being unable to afford a replacement, so I will definitely try adding the fan as you did. I assume you removed the metal plate all together?

Also, going to go undervolt the AMD processor right now.

4 Posts

April 19th, 2013 15:00

You are most welcome! :) I did remove the plate. You can try to use my voltage values but they might be higher or lower on yours. Read the guide well if you haven't done this before because you are going to have to restart the PC several times as you test voltage values (if you go really low the system will BSOD). Ah, and don't forget to clean the heatsink really well ;)

1 Message

March 29th, 2014 16:00

Yoshimail-

I realize that this post is almost a year old, but ran into the same issues as reported by the op.

I do plan to add the fan as suggested, but I removed the tape that connects the fan to the heat sink and noted the heat sink was clogged with dust.

Dan

No Events found!