Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 3rd, 2013 02:00

Inspiron One 23 - 'HDMI In' sound only through internal speakers

Hi

I have connected external speakers (through 3.5mm external output jack in the rear of the PC) that work fine when using the PC in the normal way. When I switch the visual input to 'HDMI In' to play my Playstation 3, the sound only comes from the internal speakers. I have tried the headphone socket on the side of the PC, whilst in HDMI mode, but this makes no difference, but the PC does register /notify me that I have plugged in speakers once I return to the PC mode, so it does recognise that they are there.

Is there any way which this can be changed so the sound can come through the external speakers whilst in 'HDMI In' mode? I have updated the BIOS to A10, after reading another users suggestion, but this has not made any difference.

Any advice gratefully received

Thanks

Lawrence

1.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 03:00

Hi Lawrence81,

When you connect an HMDI input, the All in one will just act like a display unit. You might have to use a HDMI to VGA with audio converter. (Please refer to the attached picture)

Also check if "HDMI to HDMI+3.5mm Audio Converter " works.

4 Posts

July 3rd, 2013 05:00

Hi Harish

Thanks for your response.

The all-in-one computers don't just work as a display unit otherwise no sound at all would be transferred. The sound is transferred to the unit, but it only comes out of the internal speakers. The best way of descibing it, is that the audio jacks are only for use by the PC.

The above connector may work, although I would lose the HD quality which is the reason I'm using an HDMI cable in the first place.

Thanks

Lawrence

1.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2013 19:00

Hi Lawrence,

Thank you for the response. Yes, you might have to compromise on the video quality if you use the converter.

4 Posts

November 19th, 2013 08:00

Hi

This is still an on-going issue. The sound from the HDMI input will only be played via the internal speakers. Is there anyway to change this or is this not possible?

Thanks

Lawrence

1 Message

September 24th, 2014 04:00

Lawrence, did you ever find a solution to your problem?  I have the same issue (HDMI volume issues) and haven't found a way to fix it. Thx

4 Posts

September 25th, 2014 02:00

Hi Gduren, unfortunately not. I flashed the bio  as suggested on another forum but that didn't work either. I'm getting the feeling that it isn't possible.

No Events found!