Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2010 19:00

Inspiron One 2305, buzzing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues or have any feedback. I've been on the phone with Dell tech support quite a few times and even had a technician come by to replace the hard drive and internal speakers, but the issue keeps coming back. Basically, the machine boots up with no noise and no issues. Problem is once the monitor display sleeps and I wake it up, there's this annoying buzzing sound coming from the speakers. I've updated all drivers and did everything I can think of. The buzzing noise is constant once it comes on. The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine again. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

December 22nd, 2010 06:00

Hi Joseph,

Workaround #1 = Flip the input on the side of the screen to HDMI, then back to computer
Workaround #2 = Disable the "turn the display off" option in the power options
Solution = Replace D4V54 Audio/Video daughterboard with the updated VMR5D Audio/Video daughterboard
http://www.impactcomputers.com/vmr5d.html

(Edits by DELL-ChrisM)

December 22nd, 2010 09:00

The buzzing noise increases when I increase the volume. It also buzzes when I plug in headphones. Didn't try with external speakers yet. Figured it'd probably give me the same result as plugging in the headphones. They are integrated speakers.

5 Posts

December 22nd, 2010 11:00

Hi Joseph,

I am having the exact same problem with my 2305 as well. I took it apart, cleaned it and I also updated the BIOS (thinking it had something to do the with the fans when the computer woke up from sleep), but it still isn't working.

When the service technician came and replaced the components for you, did they happen to replace the motherboard? Or just the hard drive? It seems as though if changing the volume lowers and raises the noise, it either has something to do with the audio output from the motherboard or the internal speakers from the computer...

Best wishes with getting the problem fixed. If I discover anything I will reply to this thread.

Meeparu

December 22nd, 2010 12:00

thanks Osprey..i'll probably place another call to Dell and have them send someone to replace the motherboard too...better yet, have them change my whole machine..

when the service technician came, he just replaced the hard drive and the internal speakers...he didn't change the motherboard...the noise is definitely coming from the speakers at the bottom of the monitor...if the noise happens for only a few seconds, i'll deal with it..but the fact that it's a constant buzzing, it's the most annoying thing especially when you're working on the PC in the wee morning hours..

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

I think Dell needs to replace the motherboard.

December 24th, 2010 11:00

Glad I found this thread!  I have the same problem w/ my 2305, just purchased a couple weeks ago.  Problem right out of the box.  Quiet at first, but once enters sleep mode or sits the hum appears.

The one work-around I found is to cycle the monitor inputs to composite, hdmi, etc, and then back to computer.  The sound goes away, but unfortunately it comes back!

Do you find it changes pitch etc with the intensity of the display (i.e. lots of bright images = louder noise)?

Bummer, because other than this I really like this machine. 

December 24th, 2010 18:00

Yes. The noise changes pitch with the intensity of the display (for example, when I load up a game with intense graphics, the pitch changes). I'm in the same boat as you, BucketBiochemist. I bought this PC a few weeks ago and problem came out of the box. I am going to contact Dell Support again early next week to see if they can replace the motherboard or a new PC.

For those of you that experience this issue, do you also notice an inconsistency with your screensavers?? For me, sometimes the screensaver comes on, sometimes not. Don't know if it's related to this display issue with the speakers or if it's just another issue with my machine.

5 Posts

December 25th, 2010 09:00

Just got off the phone with Dell. They will be replacing the system for me. Hopefully this time the system will not have that issue.

Meeparu

December 25th, 2010 13:00

Please keep me posted..hoping it's just a select few systems and not the whole line of 2305's..

5 Posts

December 25th, 2010 23:00

Yes! I'm having the same issue and I'm really disappointed. It sounds like it's coming from the speaker area, but I'm pretty sure it's not the speakers themselves because the volume of the buzzing doesn't change when I lower or raise the volume controls. It does seem to start when it wakes up from sleep mode. It has happened every time that I've woken the computer up. This has happened from the moment it came out of the box, which was only yesterday on Xmas eve!

I was so excited to get this computer, so I hope they are able to fix it. I'm sure customer service will be overloaded with holiday complaints and issues, but this is too noticeable to ignore. Especially when I bought it to watch movies and listen to music on.

December 26th, 2010 08:00

For me it is the same as KPMORROW, where the volume of the hum doesn't change with the setting and does appear after sleep mode.  Based on the change of hum when different things are going on with the display, it seems like some sort of interference between the display section and the audio section.  Maybe we can hope that it is just poor placement of some unshielded wires in our units, and not a fundamental problem with the layout of the machine.  Please anyone post when you get your new machine!

December 26th, 2010 14:00

lol...i hate to say this, but i'm glad that i'm not the only one having this issue...definitely will contact dell support to have my machine replaced..the sound is definitely too annoying to leave un-noticed...

December 27th, 2010 09:00

Just got off the phone with Dell Tech Support..they haven't offered to give me a new machine yet, but they're sending in another Dell tech to replace my motherboard, heat sink fan, and electrical cord. Will keep you guys posted once they have these new parts replaced...apparently, getting a new machine from them is like pulling teeth..

5 Posts

December 27th, 2010 16:00

Ugh, that sounds like it's going to be annoying to deal with Joseph.

I'm temped to just return it and get something else, but I really like the touchscreen feature. I'd hate to give that up, but it's not worth it to put up with problems right out of the box. Hopefully the tech does solve the issue, so yes, please do let us know how it goes. :emotion-2:

No Events found!