Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 20th, 2010 19:00

Inspiron One 2305, buzzing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had experienced similar issues or have any feedback. I've been on the phone with Dell tech support quite a few times and even had a technician come by to replace the hard drive and internal speakers, but the issue keeps coming back. Basically, the machine boots up with no noise and no issues. Problem is once the monitor display sleeps and I wake it up, there's this annoying buzzing sound coming from the speakers. I've updated all drivers and did everything I can think of. The buzzing noise is constant once it comes on. The only way to stop it is to reboot the machine again. Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

8 Posts

January 17th, 2011 18:00

I don't need the touch aspect and turned it off, but it still buzzes on resuming operation after a self induced sleep.  Don't know about a machine without the touch screen....

3 Posts

January 17th, 2011 23:00

I just received my non-touchscreen 2305.  The buzzing happens on this model too.

6 Posts

January 18th, 2011 20:00

FWIW, just got my 2305 yesterday. Spent the better part of my evening installing updates and migrating from old PC so it never slept and I never heard the buzz. Wife called me at work today to tell me the only problem she had with the new computer was a constant buzzing noise. Found this (and other) threads relating to the issue, called Dell tech support and after about 10-15 minutes they had a new on on the way. They never mentioned that it was a known issue or anything, but I didn't ask that specifically. At any rate, I tried turning off sleep/hibernate and all that stuff only to have the buzz still there after multiple reboots (even shut the system down for a good 30 minutes), very annoying.

This sounds like a major issue with the 2305, hopefully they have a fix in place on my new system, or maybe they are just trying to buy time with me so I don't request a refund before they get the fix in place. Really nice computer other that this one MAJOR issue.

12 Posts

January 19th, 2011 10:00

Same with me.  When it's the blue theater curtain screen - there's a small buzzing that is MAYBE tolerable over the long haul.

Once any application occupies any part of the screen - the buzzing is annoying at least.  It's most noticeable when I use Outlook.

But it's also quite noticeable when I run, Excel, Firefox, I.E. - just about anything.

I called Dell Tech Support - they are well-aware of the problem.  I just opened the case today - we'll see how it goes.

This is the SECOND 2305 I've gotten.  The first did have a buzzing problem, but it was intermittent, and happened regardless of whether any applications were running/minimized/non-minimized, etc.  I took that one back to Best Buy, bought a new one (the $1000 Best Buy version) and now this buzzing problem.

I still have the option of returning this one too to Best Buy - one week left in the return period.

Crissakes already.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2011 21:00

Wow - I cannot beleive the amount of time I spent on the phone with tech support only to find out that so many other people are having this problem!  I was told it was not a known issue and a fix will be a long time so they gave me the option to return (which I intend to do).

It's too bad as I really liked this computer but the buzzing is driving me insane and I don' think workarounds are appropriate for a $1000 PC...although I had contemplated disconnecting the internal speakers and using externals.

January 21st, 2011 02:00

I just bought an Inspiron One 2310, and have the same buzzing issue as everyone else in this thread.

Definitely sounds like a manufacturing issue.  Buzzing starts when the screen goes off, and comes back on out of sleep or hibernate.

I've also managed to make it go away by cycling the display to HDMI (for example) and then back to Inspiron One.  No sense asking Dell for a replacement unit, as it sounds like they all do this.

I'm going to report it though, so I've got it on record in case they put out a fix soon.  They're going to have to acknowledge the issue sooner or later.

Like everyone else, other than that, it's a great computer!

23 Posts

January 21st, 2011 12:00

This is a follow-up to my previous two posts.  After getting a relacement computer, I sent the original machine back, although, the new machine had the same buzzing problem.  The Dell rep I spoke with said that I could expect a call-back in about five days.

After getting no call-back, I checked the status of the case and saw that it had been closed.  I suppose that should be expected, since I had returned the machine with the service tag under which the case was filed.  I checked for an open case under the new machine's service tag and found nothing.  My understanding was that a case would be opened there that would remain open until the problem was resolved.

I just sent off an unresolved issue report online.  I'm very tired of spending time waiting in a telephone queue to speak with a tech that asks me to repeat everything I have told other techs, including spelling out my email address.  I figured I'd try the online report to see if I got anywhere.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

In the meantime, I have set my screen to never shut down.  As long as I do that, I have no buzzing.  The interactive screen saver I am using at least amuses people.  But I don't like leaving the screen on 24x7.  (I don't want to put the machine to sleep either.)  No one should have to put up with a problem like this with a brand new computer.  Dell needs to provide a reasonable solution.

6 Posts

January 21st, 2011 13:00

My Inspiron One 2305 was replaced. I immediately set it to never sleep or hibernate. One day I forgot and did a one minute sleep to clean the screen. When I turned it back on BUZZZZZZING! I shut the computer down, waited approximately 30 minutes and then turned the computer back on. Again, immediately I turned off the ability to sleep and hibernate. This was over a month ago and I can say that the computer has never buzzed since. That solves my issue. Really, what difference does it make if a computer cannot go into sleep or hibernate mode? I never used to use that feature before anyway. Having said that, NO NEW COMPUTER should ever have issues and Dell needs to take responsibility for this. why would you leave your screen on for 24/7? I shut my computer down every night before bed. Unless you are using this computer as a server (which I find highly unlikely since the 2305 and 2310 are more user oriented) there is no reason to leave a computer on 24/7. There was a time in the old days of 64-bit computers where turning them on and off caused issues, but today, shutting your computer down is a non-issue. Forget about the sleep and hibernate modes and just shut down once per day. Give your processor a rest. Just a thought.

6 Posts

January 21st, 2011 19:00

Well, knocking on wood and crossing fingers, but almost 2 full days in with the replacement and NO BUZZING!!!

Have put the system through every variation of sleep/hibernation/reboot etc both manual and on timed settings and so far so good. anyone else had this or ever seen the buzzing not be there through sleep/wake cycles and then appear after time? I know on the original set I had it appeared with the very first sleep/wake cycle, so I was thinking (and am hoping) it is either there or not first go... wish everyone else luck and hope mine holds up!

12 Posts

January 25th, 2011 09:00

Update:   I was encouraged by the people who tried different power saving options.

So far, it's looking good.

Unbelievable timing: The Fedex man JUST arrived at my door in mid-post, delivering the replacement 2305 from Dell (which they said would take 2-3 weeks - it took less than one - gotta give Dell their props there).  I called Dell last week, before I started seeing the options to modify the power-saving options.

The combination that's working for me is:

• "Never" on putting the monitor to sleep.

So as long as I don't have the monitor go to sleep - no buzzing.  Which is a bit puzzling because when the computer is in sleep mode, the monitor shows nothing.

So it appears that I have a solution.  I will keep trying/making sure that this continues to work properly - then I can simply send back the replacement 2305 (5 minutes old in my garage :-)

I've got half a mind to go ahead and open the new 2305 to see if it works properly with any setting - it really should but if I have to go with "Never" on the monitor - I can live with that.  I've already had to box up the first 2305 and take it back to BestBuy - I don't want to have to deal with it again.

I expect another update in a few days.

Scott

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

January 30th, 2011 17:00

All,

At this time do not get anymore hardware replaced. We are still working on isolating the root cause. Once we know this we can proceed to a solution. I will post when I know more.

January 31st, 2011 04:00

All,

At this time do not get anymore hardware replaced. We are still working on isolating the root cause. Once we know this we can proceed to a solution. I will post when I know more.

Thanks Chris, good to finally hear from someone at Dell!  I sent a support request in for this issue approx. 1 week ago, and have yet to hear from anyone.  However, glad to see some acknowledgement that it's an actual issue.  Easily and consistently replicatable from my side.

Looking forward to an update.

23 Posts

January 31st, 2011 05:00

Thanks for posting Dell's response.  Dell has called me to say that they don't have a solution at this time.  The tech was courteous, but the interchange didn't leave me hopeful that a satisfactory resolution will ever come about.

6 Posts

January 31st, 2011 06:00

If what the Dell representative is saying is correct, there is a fix in the works. If that is the case, all of us should get brand new computers. Everything should work on a new computer. Work arounds and fixes shouldn't come up until five years into ownership. This time, I backed up all my information on DVD in case I have to turn this one in. It has the buzzing, but doesn't happen if I leave the sleep/hibernate mode off. I'm ready for my new computer! :emotion-6:

12 Posts

January 31st, 2011 06:00

Update: After spending a few days trying different settings, it was the same: whenever I came out of monitor sleep, the buzzing continued.

So I decided to open the replacement unit, but unfortunately, they sent me the wrong version of the 2305.  The replacement model was a lesser version - I noticed it immediately, so there was no sense in even trying to see if the replacement unit had the issue or not.  I have contacted Dell Tech Support about the wrong unit being sent and am waiting for their response.

And now I'm seeing that Dell has told everyone to forget about the replacement units altogether?

At this point, I'm baffled.

Scott

No Events found!