Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 25th, 2008 15:00

Installing 2nd video card and SLI Bridge

Hi,

Although it hasn't shipped yet :( , I'm supposed to get a new 720 delivered tomorrow.  It has a single nVidia GeForce 8000 GTX card.  I have purchased a 2nd GTX card and an SLI Bridge to install myself.  My question is this: When I receive the computer, hopefully tomorrow, can I install the 2nd card and the SLI Bridge after I unpack it, or do I need to hook it up and do something prior to installing them?

thanks for your help,

Larry

PS This forum is a great resource. I wish I had been using it a lot more over the years than I have.

66 Posts

February 25th, 2008 15:00

Hi Larry,

It's best to let the system boot once or twice first as it can run through the final setup phases from the factory then shut ti down and install the 2nd card and bridge. Then you'll just need to enable the SLI mode in the Nvidia control panel. One thing about the 2nd card, is it the same manufacturer and model as what come with your rdered system? I have run into issues where if there are not the same it causes problems and SLI doesn't work properly.

23 Posts

February 25th, 2008 16:00

Hi Felkis,

I thought it might not be a good idea to install them first before booting it up.  That's why I checked  here first. I always get the answers I need here. :)

I don't know which manufacturer's card it ships with.  At the Dell store, they sell Asus, XFX, and Evga, which I had never heard of.  I thought it was prudent to buy one of the brands they sell in the Dell store, so I bought the XFX from mWave.com (mWave has better prices and I get ground shipments the next day).  A Dell XPS premium support rep (Email) actually sent me a link to the 8800 GTX cards and the bridge in the Dell Store.  I bought the bridge itself in the Dell store.  The Dell order says this:

nVidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Do you know which manufacturer's card Dell uses? I have no problem whatsoever returning the video card I purchased and getting another one.  It would take me no time at all to swap out cards with mWave, especially since the computer hasn't shipped yet, as far as I can tell. The estimated shipping date is today, which isn't over yet, and I ordered next business day.  I'm not the world's most patient person. 

I originally purchased a refubished computer and Dell sent me the wrong one -- boy was it the wrong one.  That's how a Dell premium support rep got involved in the first place. They didn't have another refurbished computer I wanted, so I bought a new one.  Despite how much more money I spent for the new computer (~$1500), I'll be happy if arrives soon and without any major problems.  I'm not too hard to please, but if the new computer has problems.....

Thanks for your help,

Larry

418 Posts

When the 720 arrives connect only the keyboard, mouse, monitor and internet connection(assuming your using a nic).  Let the machine boot up for the first time and let it run for a little while.  It may go ahead and start downloading updates.  Go ahead and let it finish doing what it needs to do.  When the system looks like it is idle go ahead and reboot the machine and let it run until it is idle again.

If the system appears to be stable and everything is working, you can then power down the machine and install your 2nd video card and SLI bridge. 

After all this, you may want to update the video drivers etc.. to bring your machine drivers up to date.

23 Posts

Okay.  I just got an email from Dell saying my computer won't ship until next Monday. :( .  I guess a week won't kill me.

- Does anyone know which manufacturer Dell uses for the XFX cards, or is there a way I can find out which card will be in my 720 computer? or

- Is someone using an XFX 8800 GTX video card that is working successfully with whatever 8800 GTX video card that comes with Dell's 720 computers?

I don't want to cause a problem by adding an XFX 8000 GTX video card if it doesn't play well with others.  I don't know if it does or not. 

thanks.

23 Posts

Hi Garred,

You provided me additional, helpful information and I should be able to give both you and Felkis credit for solving my problem. I don't like not being able to do that. So, I would if I could.

thanks.

418 Posts

February 25th, 2008 18:00

Technically if they are the same card from different manufactures they should work together.  Having said that there "might" be a problem but you will not know that until you add the 2nd card.  If one card is a little slower than the other one, the faster card will slow down and match the slower.

66 Posts

February 25th, 2008 19:00

Hi Larry,

NP for the info :smileyhappy:

I am not sure which manufacturer they use for teh cards, guessing it may be a few vendors but can't say for sure.

As for the XFX card they are nice, I know some people who use them and they have no complaints, video cards is one of XFX stronger products (they also make motherboards and stuff but video cards I think were where they started). Evga is also supposed to be fairly reliable from what I have heard too.

Bummer about waiting an extra wek for the system but at least they notified you. I have bought from other vendors who don't and that gets annoying have to call and ask.

23 Posts

February 25th, 2008 20:00

My order was delayed. Big Mistake. Because of that, I looked at their inventory and found a refurbished computer that almost completely matched what I wanted, including Dual 8800 GTX video cards.  Since it saved me $1149 even after I  extended the in-home warranty to 3 years and added Promedia Speakers. it was too good to turn down.

I tried to buy a refurbished computer before I bought the new one, but they sent me the wrong one.  When I sent it back their didn't have a refurbished computer in their inventory that matched what I wanted.  Now, they did.  I have never been able to tell that any Dell refurbished computer wasn't a new one, and I have had 7 of them.

The only difference between the new computer and the refurbished computer is the memory.  How much difference will I notice with 667MHz memory instead of 800MHZ (or higher if overclocked)? I play games like Crysis (everything is set to low except for 1920 - 1200 resolution), record music, and do graphics (Photoshop/Illustrator) and 3D like Strata 3D and e-on software Vue Infinite 6.5/

I spend a considerable amount of money, so any time I can save, I go for it. This will give me an opportunity to buy something else I can't live without. ;)

thanks

14.4K Posts

February 25th, 2008 20:00

LarryAW

i would not worry about the difference in mem speed..it will not be all that drastic..and with the price of mem really cheap these days, it is more benificial to just go and add your own..don't know what the specs of the referb are but as for a almost 1200 savings it sound good..

You will proably find that you can up your stettings in Crysis a whole lot...

23 Posts

February 25th, 2008 21:00

Hi Davet 50,

I didn't think the memory speed would make too much difference, and as you say, memory is really inexpensive now.  I'm really looking forward to playing Crysis.  I know it'll be an incredible experience compared to what I'm used to. Graphics and music will be a whole lot better, too. I'm using a Dell XPS Generation 3 right now, so it'll be a big change.  It's a good computer, but I really need multicore for the stuff I like to do.

Thanks.  I'll be see you guys around here often, but hopefully not trying to fix a disaster.

Larry

34 Posts

March 3rd, 2008 09:00

Hi All

In a very similar story to the author of this original post...

I too purcahsed a refurbished Dell XPS 720 which came fitted with one 768 MB 8800 GTX nVidia GeForce card

I also purchased a second identical card and and SLI bridge...however I didnt think through the power
requirements.

The 8800 GTX cards have two 4 pin power connectors, and the 750W power supply only has two in the case..

So I called Dell that put me onto a company called Upgrade Options in the UK (as Dell themselves dont stock the bigger unit) that are an offical 3rd party supplier for Dell and I am awaiting a price from them for the 1000W suply that does in fact have four 4 pin connectors...

I have managed to install the second card and with only one power connector attached to each card, the system appears to be running fine.

Can anyone confirm if I really do need the second more powerful power supply, and can someone also tell me if anything but the dell unit will fit in the 720 case.

The other thing that concerns me is that a lot of the 1000W power supplies on the market seem to have either 6 pin power connectors or 8 pin power connectors....so how are we supposed to power the existing cards with these power cords...when the cards only take 4 pin power connections

On another note, the only odd things that I see with the cards only "half powered" is that the system memory (3 gb installed) only shows as 2.75GB at the moment...but everything else works fine

Any help would be greatly appreciated as the machine is great and this is all I think I need to get things finished off.

Thanks in advance

Jon

4 Posts

March 19th, 2008 02:00

I too am in the same boat with the XPS 720 with a 750 watt power supply. I want to put the second card in and as a matter of fact it is sitting right here screaming at me to "Install Me" "Install Me NOW!" Anyway that being said, is your 750 watt still working for you with your set up and one plug to each card? I have an almost identical system as your but an X-Fi also. The Physixs card takes one plug away from using an adaptor. Bottom Line - Are you still using one plug for each card and is the results okay?
No Events found!