Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 12th, 2016 09:00

Installing drivers after Windows XP reinstall on Dell Dimension 2350 using Dell Resource disc

Hello to all,

I recently did a clean reinstall of Windows XP (Home) on my Dell Dimension 2350. All went fine. Now I need to install the correct drivers. I have the Dell Resource disc and this is where the problem starts.
   As noted elsewhere, after the reinstall the screen display of the Resource disc is as it would be in "Safe Mode". I was aware of this. As such, the Resource disc Search Criteria screen was a bit larger than the monitor screen. I was able to size it to fit the screen but this is really not the problem it is the following: The Search Criteria options I have from the drop down menus (on screen) are as follows:

System Model:   All, Dimension C521, DXC061, Dimension DXP0G1, Dimension E521, DM061, XPS710    (Which, if any, do I pick?)

Operating System: (I think I got this one)   All, Windows XP

Topic:   (Maybe this one too)   All, Applications, Dell Diagnostics, Diagnostics, Drivers, Utilities

For the life of me I cannot figure out the exact drivers I am to install*. Windows XP only appears in the Operating System menu. I pretty much know the install order but as I said, I'm a bit confused about selecting the correct drivers from the disc. This computer is not connected to the internet at the moment so I can't download and use any sort of driver detection program. Other searches have confused me further and have provided no specific answer to this problem.
   If anyone can enlighten me on a step-by-step solution to this (I'm thinking "Dell Resource Disc for Dummies") I would be extremely grateful.

Thanks to all!

Zlek1207

*If it helps, I went into the Device Manager (with "Show Hidden Files" enabled) and all it shows (with the yellow question mark) are:   
 Other Devices:   Ethernet Controller, Multi-media Audio Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible).

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

September 12th, 2016 14:00

You need, in installation order:

1. Chipset driver
  2. Video driver (depends on which video card)
  3. Audio driver
  4. Network driver (depends on which you have)
  5. Modem driver, if you use a dialup modem

Go to the Support page and put in your Service Tag. It should give you the drivers you need. You can download them on any PC and copy onto a USB stick for installation on the 2350.

You only need the applications, if you actually use them (eg, Roxio, Jasc Paintshop, etc).

Then install your antiviral software and get online to the Microsoft Update site for all the patches and updates.

Keep in mind that XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and they stopped releasing security fixes for XP and IE9, more than 1 year ago. So they're both full of security holes and put your personal data at risk.

EDITED

2 Posts

September 13th, 2016 09:00

Hello Ron,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions. I will follow your instructions and hopefully all will go well.

Thanks Again,

Zlek1207      

No Events found!