Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2016 10:00

Intel Rapid Storage driver

I have two Dell XPS 8700 desktops. They are both about a year old. A few days ago, I installed the Windows 10 Anniversary Update on both of them. That seemed to go OK. I used both pcs for a little while after the update finished. When I shut the first machine down, there was already an update. I chose Update and shut down. The next day I was on the other pc and after I used it for a few hours, suddenly a program wouldn't open. I finally restarted and as I might have expected, there was an update being installed. (I've had that same senario happen other times so I wan't surprised, ie, things quite working normally and then you find Microsoft has pushed out an update that requires a reboot but doesn't tell you.) But then the trouble began. The update took awhile and then the login screen came up, but every time I tried to enter my password, the screen would freeze and it would restart. After about 5 repeats of this, I got a black screen that said Starting Automatic Recovery and then it went to a pale blue screen that said that WRkrn.sys was corrupt or missing and I needed a disk or a system administrator. I couldn't remember if I had created a recovery disk or where I had put it. I ran to the other computer to create one, but when I started it up, the exact same thing happened. I called Microsoft and they wanted me to start them up in Safe mode, but I couldn't. So then they had me create an ISO image. I am sure it was of the latest build. I tried to repair, system restore, etc. but nothing worked. So I finally recovered from a Macrium backup. But now I'm afraid of any Microsoft update.

I looked up this issue on the web and some people said that updating the Intel Rapid storage driver fixed this issue for them. So I am wondering if I should update this driver before Microsoft tries to push this out on me again. But how do I find the right driver for my system. I searched on Dell and I found one that is a 32 bit driver. It says that it also works on 64 bit systems. But is there a 64 bit driver.

How do I find what other drivers are available for my system? Do I need to enter my service tag?

Honestly, I haven't been having any issue with either machine since I bought them and I hate to fix it if it ain't broke.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

August 27th, 2016 11:00

Been a number of probs with the recent MS updates causing problems like yours....  :emotion-40:

You can always go to the Intel download site and grab their driver update scanner. It will examine your hardware and recommend updated drivers.

56 Posts

August 28th, 2016 07:00

Thanks!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 28th, 2016 08:00

Have you had any experience with WebRoot SecureAnywhere?  If not you may want to do some virus scanning.

56 Posts

August 28th, 2016 09:00

I've used Webroot for quite a few years now.

I downloaded the Intel driver scanner. When it ran, it found nothing to update. So I guess that means I'm up to date or I have no intel products. But it does show an Intel rapid storage icon in the lower right of my screen.

They also claim that these issues affect a small user base with SSD and their apps on a second drive. My computer came prebuilt, but I don't think it has an SSD drive. I checked in Optimizer and it was just listed as hard drive and a search at Amazon for the model number turns up a non-ssd drive. And my apps are all on the C: drive. So it seems that the claim is understated.

I've never had a problem with an update before.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

August 28th, 2016 10:00

Many systems come with a small mSATA drive to help speed up access to a larger HDD.  The Intel utility is used for that purpose.

My concern is, since you have some type of Security program on your system, some security programs can cause problems for upgrades and updates with Windows 10.  If you get a message a component of the Webroot software is missing, possibly it is related.

56 Posts

August 28th, 2016 10:00

Thanks. It never occurred to me that the missing file might belong to Webroot. But I'll check with them. Their support has always been very responsive.

But how can you deal with that situation? Microsoft doesn't even tell many times that they are updating your system. You just see it happen the next time you reboot.

No Events found!