Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

February 12th, 2017 10:00

Is a clean install of windows 7 on a dell dimension 4700c running windows xp pro possible?

I would like to install windows 7 on my old Dell Dimension 4700c which currently runs windows xp.

I have been told that it is not possible to do an upgrade from xp to 7.

Is it possible to do a clean install?

Or do I need to first upgrade to windows vista and is this possible.

I recently purchased the windows 7 disk from dell online.

Thank you

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 12th, 2017 11:00

It depends on the disc you purchased.  It will need to be a full copy of Windows 7 (not an upgrade edition) with a new license key.  If that's what you purchased, you should be set.

If what you purchased is an upgrade disc with no license key, you're not going to be able to do a clean install.

92 Posts

February 12th, 2017 18:00

Yes, that is what I purchased. During this attempt I have used the key to create installation media downloaded to a thumb drive. The problem is that the media, both disk and install media is not recognized by the dell 4700 c. When I install the disk into both the onboard dvd/rw drive or an added external hard drive, nothing happens - no boot no nothing.

Thanks for your input.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

February 12th, 2017 19:00

Have you tried the F12 boot menu?

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 14th, 2017 06:00

I don't think that's an option unless they updated the bios.  GX260 for example doesn't have this as a feature until almost the very last bios version.  Many older systems like this only have CDROM not DVD or they have combo drives that need firmware updates before they read WINDOWS7 DVD's.

No Events found!