Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 7th, 2017 19:00

Issue installing Windows 10 on Dell i3050 mini pc into new blank SSD

I'm having no luck installing windows 10 from USB drive onto new ssd I installed in Dell i3050 mini pc. I tried with UEFI mode including Secure boot disabled or enabled as well as legacy mode.

The install goes throw and then it hangs on the first boot at Dell's logo.

Any help would be appreciated? I don't know if I should contact tech support. 

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 27th, 2017 07:00

The Other "ISSUE" you are having is that changing from secure boot to CSM. You cannot clone secure boot and then turn it to csm which means you have to remain in secure boot.  The only 3rd party that I know of that supports this type of cloning is Paragon 16 & SSR. They have support for Windows uEFI, GPT & Secure Boot.  They also help you create WINPE recovery media.

PARAGON Software Group - partition manager, drive backup, hard disk partitioning

30 Posts

Let's step back. What you are telling me that by setting "Boot List Option" to legacy it would still be in UEFI. Am I understanding you correctly?

What I'm telling you that if I set "Boot List Option" to UEFI and then try to install Window 10. The installation process goes through and after reboot it hangs on 1st boot on Dell's logo. Simply can't boot in windows 10. btw I use advanced option to install windows 10 and delete all existing partitions and install windows 10 on unallocated space. Which should and it does creates partitions on GPT disk.

The other way to restore this mini pc is to use Dell's provided Windows recovery image iso file. I can downloaded it based on my mini pc service tag. Then I need to use Dell's provided USB creation tool that would use downloaded iso file above and create a bootable USB drive. There are instructions included with USB tool on how to restore ssd to the way the system was shipped from Dell. The recovery process goes through, but again will hang on 1st boot.

So the only way I was able to install windows 10 was by setting "Boot List Option" to legacy. Push F12 on start and get to boot selection like in picture 4, but use USB Storage Device under "Legacy Boot" to start Windows 10 installation. The process goes through and it boots into windows 10 setup like it suppose to.

30 Posts

I'm simply trying to replace one drive with another. It would be the same as an upgrade current drive with another drive. I have done lots of dell's laptops and upgraded their old HHD with ssd using cloning software that either comes with new ssd or macrium reflect freeware. I also used my Windows Home Server to restore backup image into a new drive after drive failure.

I have never ever had any issues with either of those methods. I don't really care if dell or microsoft support cloning or not. I'm not doing anything illegal here.  

30 Posts

February 27th, 2017 08:00

I think this is where you are missing the point. I'm not using CSM. I could of setup CSM in this BIOS by selecting "Boot List Option" to UEFI, "secure boot" disabled and "Load Legacy Option Rom" enabled.

The 1st and 2nd  pictures are Legacy option only. I don't get why USB1 is showing up under UEFI Boot. I don't think it suppose to in picture 4. The boot mode is clearly shows Legacy. May be this is an issue with BIOS in I3050 mini pc.

No Events found!