Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

H

March 18th, 2017 12:00

Issues with SX2210b Monitor

I have a DELL SX2210B monitor with a manufacture date of April 2009.   Obviously, it has some age on it but it has worked superbly.  In 2015 the monitor suddenly started to flicker over the course of a day or two and then the brightness dulled and dimmed leaving an overall grayish color to everything on the screen.  It will eventually dim out to where you can barely see anything on the screen.  I can turn off the monitor and it will start to work again if you adjust the brightness up to the max level.  Eventually, though, it starts to flicker again and dims. 

I replaced it with a lesser monitor back then.  Now the newer monitor is having issues and it caused me to try the old DELL SX2210B one more time before hauling it off.  I just plugged it up and it works really vividly for a while like there is nothing wrong with it.  Over the course of a few minutes, it clearly starts to flicker and dim again.  I've used it for an hour now and it is still on.  However, i don't expect this to last much longer.

So, anyone recognize an obvious problem with my monitor that can be fixed?  Can these monitors be refurbished?  Is it worth the cost?  This was an absolute terrific monitor before the problems started.  I'd like to salvage it if at all possible.  Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 18th, 2017 14:00

It could be one of a number of issues - heat-intolerant chip, bad cold solder joint on the main board in the display - or a connector not making proper contact, but given that a good, new 22" monitor is well under $100, unless labor rates are very low where you're located, it'll be far cheaper to replace the monitor(s) than repair them - and that's if the fault can be easily found and parts are available -- that may not be the case.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 18th, 2017 16:00

Or it could just be the backlight failed. This monitor may have fluorescent backlights which didn't last very long and would start flickering when they were dying. And if one of the fluorescent bulbs goes out completely, the screen would still work but it would be much dimmer than normal.

When you look for a new monitor, make sure it has LED backlights which should last much longer than the fluorescent ones...  

March 19th, 2017 09:00

Thanks for your assistance.  If it is something like a backlight fail, is that something that can be repaired or is it just more practical and efficient to buy a new monitor?  It just seems like it is something minor causing a fantastic monitor to not work properly.  Right now as I type this the monitor is dim and flickers every few minutes, but the 'picture' is just so crisp otherwise.  Makes no sense, to me, that it looks so brilliant when it is working and only eventually dims out.  On the other hand, can anyone suggest a comparable replacement for the SX2210B?  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 19th, 2017 12:00

Replacing just the backlight will cost more in labor than replacing the monitor.  

Your best bet is to look through some reviews and find a monitor you like - there are more good ones out there now than there are bad ones.  ASUS, LG, Samsung, and others all make very good monitors and as noted, a 22-24" monitor can cost as little as under $100 -- paying more gets you features like a height-adjustable stand, faster pixel response, etc -- but even "low end" monitors now are likely to have a superior image to the one you have.

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

March 19th, 2017 13:00

My 23" LG monitor had fluorescent backlighting and the backlighting started flickering about a week after the warranty ended. No help from LG. There were after-market replacement bulbs but way too expensive and not something I wanted to mess with.

Bought Asus 23" with LED backlighting and been very happy for much longer than the warranty lasted. :emotion-4: 

Everyone has their own preferences for monitors so do some homework like ejn63 said, and go to a big box store and compare them side-by-side.

No Events found!