Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

January 27th, 2016 11:00

Keyboard Failure

Last week I downloaded about 23 updates from Microsoft for my Windows 7 64-bit home edition on my desktop (Dell  XPS 8300 PC).  Upon the restart, I began to get “Code 43” errors.  I started my laptop to do research on the code as I didn’t want to touch anything further on my desktop until I had an idea what was going on.   Using my laptop to search, I found in most cases, it is caused by a registry error.  I figured that made sense – something must have gone wrong with the updates and so I decided to do a restore on my PC to the one a week before (my last restore setting before those updates).  But my PC was totally locked up.  The keyboard and mouse were no longer working.  Turning any USB peripherals such as the printer didn’t result in a recognition “beep” as it usually does when the desktop recognizes something on one of the USB ports. I did a hard reboot and got “keyboard failure” message.  Windows eventually recovers and shows the normal startup screen for me but I cannot select my “USER” icon or anything as the mouse and keyboard still do not work.  Since I don’t have access to the keyboard, I can’t hit “F2” etc.  II tried plugging the keyboard into each of the 8 USB ports on desktop, went out and bought a new wired keyboard and mouse (I had been using wireless Logitech equipment which had been working flawlessly), did the same and nothing.  Each time I hard reboot, I still get “keyboard failure” message.  I seem to be in a loop.  The wired mouse led lights up the navigation wheel  so I assume the ports are still making connection to the power supply.

I removed the button battery, reset the BIOS, etc. but nothing lets me access anything. The cursor on the screen can’t be moved to make a USER account selection.  I don’t know where to go now.  I guess it could be the motherboard but to have all 8 ports fail seems like a registry error.  My last full backup was two weeks before so I have a lot of material I worked on after that and don’t want to lose it.

I tried using my “REPAIR DISK” that I created but because the hard drive works, the PC never goes to the CD/DVD drive (D:) to boot as the C: drive does work.

HELP!

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

January 28th, 2016 11:00

Did you possibly leave an (SD) card in the internal card reader, assuming you have one? Have you disconnected all USB devices from PC, except mouse and keyboard?

You can try this:

If you can borrow (or buy) a USB hub with its own external power brick, connect the brick to the wall and the hub to a rear USB port. Then connect the mouse and keyboard through the hub and try to boot the PC.

If that doesn't help, you may want to strip it down to bare essentials by disconnecting all drives except boot drive, removing all PCI-e cards except video, and disconnecting internal card reader from the motherboard (make note of where it's connected for future reference). Then reset BIOS by removing the motherboard battery and pressing/holding power button for ~30 sec before reinstalling the battery.

And if none of that helps, you have to consider a possible motherboard failure...

No Events found!