Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 11th, 2009 13:00

Looking for software to adjust fan speeds on XPS

Hello.  I'm hoping somebody can help me.  I've spoken to Dell Tech Support and have been bounced back and forth between hardware and software support with no resolution.

I currently have an XPS 730 with an NVIDIA motherboard/chipset.  Recently I upgraded to an ATI video card.  Prior to that I've been using the NVIDIA 9800GX2.  Back when I still had the NVIDIA card, I'd been using the NVIDIA system tool/control panel to adjust the fan speeds for my system.  Ever since the upgrade in video cards, I've been unable to use the program because it requires that I have an NVIDIA video card installed in order to use the software.

So I'm wondering what software out there I can use to adjust the fan speeds for an XPS system with Windows 7.  The Catalyst program only adjusts the fan speeds for my video card, but I'm looking for a program that can adjust the front/back/CPU fan speeds.

I've done some searching in the forums and I've read about the XPS Thermal Monitor program in a few threads from 2008.  I don't know if this program is compatible with Windows 7.  I'm reluctant to try it because I can't seem to find any recent information about the program.  I've browsed on other forums and it's been stated that programs like 'SpeedFan' will not adjust fan speeds for the XPS.  It will only allow you to view the temperatures.

Can somebody please help?  Thanks.

20 Posts

December 11th, 2009 16:00

Have you already confirmed that speedfan will not work on the Studio?  It is a pretty good free program and looking at the latest releases they seem to have added additional support for Dell's (and the 32bit version of WIN7, I am not certain that the 64bit WIN7 has been added as it looks like they disabled it three revisions back and I do not see where it was added back yet).  Anyway, since it is free, might be worth a try out.

Otherwise, I found this http://www.sevenforums.com/graphic-cards/21441-fan-speed-control-ati-card.html  where they discuss an ATI control utility for your graphics card (similar to the NVidia you mentioned).  You need to read the thread thoroughly in the event that WIN7 does not like the digital certificate, there is a posted workaround). 

Good Luck!

940 Posts

December 11th, 2009 22:00

YOu can still use the Nvidia ESA software to control the case fans even though you are now using an ATI video card. I am not sure if the XPS thermal will work on the XPS 730 or not as I have the 730x. If you do try it I would recommend downloading the version for the XPS 625 since it is a newer version. Worst case is you try and it does not work.

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

December 11th, 2009 22:00

It worked on my test XPS 730.

No Events found!