Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 16th, 2016 15:00

MAC THUNDERBOLT DISPLAY TO OPTIPLEX 790

I've managed to stump the IT folks at my work and am hoping someone here has a solution. I currently work off of a OptiPlex 790 with a Dell display connected through the HDMI port. I'm trying to connect my 27'' Thunderbolt Display (MAC) as a second monitor. I first tried a DisplayPort to Thunderbolt chord (with a male DP end and a male thunderbolt end which connects to the Mac display), but my Dell isn't recognizing that another display is even connected. Has anyone ever tried to do this?--any solutions? Sorry to post a mac/dell hybrid question. Thanks for your help!

10 Elder

• 

43.6K Posts

May 17th, 2016 12:00

Always include the version of Windows in your posts.

Which form factor is this 790?

Are you using an add-in video card? 

If there's an add-in card, are you connecting both monitors to the add-in card or one to the add-in and one to an onboard video port?

If this is Win 7, 32- or 64-bit, you need to open BIOS setup and change the Multi-Display option to Enabled (it's Disabled by default). Be sure to save the change before exiting setup. (Note: this option isn't available unless you have an add-in video card.)

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

May 18th, 2016 09:00

Thunderbolt is not passive and adapters are not bi directional.

There is no display port to thunderbolt.

You cant EVER do what you are trying to do.

Thunderbolt requires specific Intel® C602 Chipset and PCI-E 3.0 Bandwidth.  You can't just plug any ole card in any ole bus and have it work. Intel® DSL2310 / DSL5320 /CV82524EFL Thunderbolt™ Controller is not universal working on Any system.  XEON and Intel QuickPath Interconnect (QPI) is also a requirement. Even the ASUS card is an X4 card.

# of Thunderbolt™ Channels 4
# of Ports Dual
PCI Express Configurations PCIe 3.0, 1x4
Display Port DP 1.1a 2x Sink, 1x Source

The Thunderbolt in this case has a Header on the motherboard Not Just the PCI-E bus which it uses for POWER.

No Events found!