Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 18th, 2001 06:00

MS PicureIt

Just got my new Dell Dimension 4100/1 GHz. One problem, I get an error whenever I close the Picture It program, namely "Pip error in kernel32.dll". DOes any one have ideas how to stop the error. I tried a relaod of the program to no avail

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM

1.1K Posts

March 18th, 2001 12:00

Hi,

Although your error message differs, you might try the patch discussed in this article from the Microsoft Knowledge Base. Often patches and updates fix more than the manufacturer lists.

HTH,

Kay

15 Posts

March 18th, 2001 14:00

thanks, Kay. Tried that one with no success

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM
Cable Modem

1.1K Posts

March 18th, 2001 15:00

Hi,

I'm at a loss, but perhaps someone else can find a solution. The only other thing I could suggest is that you verify (in Windows Explorer) that your msvcrt.dll file is the version which shipped with Windows ME (assuming this is your OS). This version should be 6.10.8637, and is located in the win_13.cab file on your ME CD in the folder win9x, should you have a lesser version currently installed.

You can check the version number by browsing to C:\Windows\System, highlight the file, right-click it, and choose Properties | Version tab. Alternatively, go to Start | Find, enter msvcrt.dll in the field and OK the run. When the file shows up, highlight the one in Windows\System, right-click it and choose Properties | Version tab.

Sorry, but hopefully someone else will have something more useful.

Kay

15 Posts

March 18th, 2001 18:00

thanks Kay. I did a search and found the file in three locations, one of which included the widows/system folder. The one in the systems folder was 6.1.8637.0. The other two files (in DVD program folders) were a different version.

I extracted the file form the winme cab folder and it was 6.1.8637.0

Put the same version is all foldrs, and I still get the Pip error in kernel32.dll.

Thnaks for your help and efforts.

If you in fact have 6.10.8637, could you email it to me??

Anyway, appreciate your efforts. The PicturIt works fine, it just bugs me that I get the error when I close the program

Don

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM
Cable Modem

1.1K Posts

March 18th, 2001 19:00

Hi,

I would, except that I run Windows 98, which allows system file overwrites fairly easily. At the Microsoft .dll database, the most recent version listed as being released is yours, shipped with ME. I can't tell you where I got this version of the file to know if it would be safe for your Win ME install or not, and if you do install a later version of a file, Win ME doesn't allow a previous version to overwrite a later version. This being the case, then if you found trouble with this version, it would be difficult to go back to your current version, although doable in DOS. If that were done, however, I don't know how that would affect your System Restore feature, if at all. Since I can't predict a successful result, I don't recommend that you install this file version unless it comes from the Windows Update site so that Microsoft approves it for ME installs.

Since you do have the version which shipped with ME, your PIP shouldn't require a more current version than that; too many people here run this program on ME systems without getting this error, so something else is wrong. I tend to doubt that your current file is corrupted, or you would be getting this error in many programs, not just when closing one of them, since a whole lot of programs use the Visual C runtime library.

I'm really sorry, but since I cannot find the error message anywhere on the internet, I'm at a loss as to what to try next in this case. Hopefully someone else will see this and have an idea for you.

Kay

15 Posts

March 18th, 2001 21:00

Kay, Again, thanks for taking the time. You've been a real friend

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM
Cable Modem

2 Posts

March 19th, 2001 00:00

I'm having the same problem

15 Posts

March 19th, 2001 01:00

Great!!! At least I feel better that its not the computer, as its only 1 week old. If you here anything please post

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM
Cable Modem

15 Posts

March 19th, 2001 01:00

Just found the problem. Its Norton antivirus. Just diable the scripting option in antivirus and the Pip error goes away.

Found the solotion in the pictureit newsgroup

Dimension4100
1Ghz
512MB RAM
Cable Modem

1.1K Posts

March 19th, 2001 02:00

Congratulations—that's great news :) Thanks for posting back so others will know :)

Kay
No Events found!