Highlighted
Not applicable

Maximum Memory for Optiplex 380

Jump to solution

The specs for maximum memory in the Optiplex 380 are quite confusing. The pdf manual says the maximum memory is 4 gb - one 4 gb module in one slot or two 2-gb modules in two slots. But I read in many other places that the maximum is 8 gb - two 4 gb modules in the two slots.

On another thread here, someone asked about the max memory on the Optiplex 380 minitower and was told the max memory is indeed 8 mg. But see here that the max is given as 4 gb:
http://www.pcrush.com/product/Desktop-Computers/632935/Dell-OptiPlex-380-Desktop-Computer-Intel-Core-2-Duo-E7500-Dual-core-2.93-GHz-Mini-tower

I also don't have the minitower case, and don't know if that makes a difference. I believe what I have is called the small form factor. I would really, really like to upgrade the memory, but don't want to spend money on a memory module I can't use.

Edit: Here are other specs of my computer:
3.20 gigahertz Intel Pentium Dual-Core
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (2 total)

Board: Dell Inc. 01TKCC A01
Bus Clock: 800 megahertz
BIOS: Dell Inc. A06 09/01/2011

3996 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Slot 'DIMM_1' has 4096 MB (serial number 652F0829)
Slot 'DIMM_2' is Empty

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

RE: Maximum Memory for Optiplex 380

Jump to solution

Just verified. You can indeed add another 4GB module to your system.

You can order one here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Just verified in this system. The max amount of ram is 4GB per slot.

So yes, you can add another module. Here is a link to a reliable seller for optiplex 380 memory modules.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Just verified. You can indeed add another 4GB module to your system.

You can order one here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Not applicable

Jump to solution

Thank you so much! This was driving me crazy. I'm going to opt for getting one from crucial.com, though. They scanned my system and found the memory module I need. It's new, not refurbished, like the one at your link, and it's nearly $20 cheaper. I had a LOT of problems with my old computer and a few on this current one, so I'm a bit leery at this point of getting a refurbished DIMM. But thank so so very much for getting this information verified for me.

0 Kudos