stoochie
1 Copper

Maximum Memory on Dell Dimension 4300 Systems?

I currently have 512MBs of SD-RAM on my Dimension 4300 and i want to purchase an additional 512 to bring my total to 1024.  In my Dell manual it says the maximum memory capicity is 512 of SDRAM.  This link http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BDimension&mfr=Dell&model=Dimensi... says that the maximum memory capicity is 1024.  Which one is correct?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

Re: Maximum Memory on Dell Dimension 4300 Systems?

@stoochie wrote:

I currently have 512MBs of SD-RAM on my Dimension 4300 and i want to purchase an additional 512 to bring my total to 1024.  In my Dell manual it says the maximum memory capicity is 512 of SDRAM.  This link  ... crucial.com says that the maximum memory capicity is 1024.  Which one is correct?

Hi,

You system max is really 1 GB, just like the Crucial page says.
Just input the system number into the RAM picker and you can see you real system specs.
It seems that Dell changed the system specs for the 4300 from 1 GB to 512MB when they discovered that Windows ME whith which the system shipped had a memory bug.
So, instead if installing the simple fix and listed the required information on the system support page, Dell just lowered the spec to save support cost.
You can read about the Windows memory bug in Windows 95, 98, 98SE, and Windows ME, and find the simple fix right here.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell
Helping Dell talkers here since 1997
Memory upgrade information

Find the ...

"How much can my system hold?"
"What kind is it?"

... and other memory information.

Message Edited by Thereal-dbk4297 on 12-15-2002 04:21 PM

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

0 Kudos
stoochie
1 Copper

The real I am confused.

(Oh, and i'm running XP)  So am i able to have 1024MB's of RAM?

0 Kudos
Thereal-dbk4297
5 Tungsten

@stoochie wrote:

The real I am confused.

(Oh, and i'm running XP)  So am i able to have 1024MB's of RAM?

Hi,

That is correct.
Your system can make use of upto 1 GB of memory no matter what version of Windows you are running. You just need to be sure that the memory is correct for your specific system model number like you will find from Crucial using the RAM picker.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell
Helping Dell talkers here since 1997
Memory upgrade information

Find the ...

"How much can my system hold?"
"What kind is it?"

... and other memory information.

Mis Dos Centavos,
Darrell

Gadfly at large

Helping Dell Customers here since 1998

My systems ...
Dimension XPS D266 - Now retired
Toshiba Tecra M1
Dimension 4300 - Received DOA as a gift. Reinstalled XP and still working great
Dimension 9150 - Pent D 3.2GHz, 4GB dual-channel 533 DDR2 Windows 7 Pro, Firefox 3.6.14
  Congrats to Jimmie Johnson #48 - FIVE time Nascar Sprint Cup Champ !!!!  

0 Kudos
nyguy
3 Argentium

hi! I got a 4300. It's 1 gig. But don't add more than 512mb or you will be wasting your money. The computer does not go any faster if you were to add 1 gb total ram. I went from 256mb to 512mb and noticed little if any at all speed increase in any programs.

No programs need 1gb to run.

0 Kudos
stoochie
1 Copper

hmm nyguy are u sure about that.  Because i am going to have to disagree with you.  Games will run faster, programs will also and the computer in general will run faster.
0 Kudos
nyguy
3 Argentium

only if the program needs all of that ram it will run faster. otherwise it will just goto waste. post back when you install it with your results if you can.
0 Kudos
therentabrain
1 Copper

RE: Maximum Memory on Dell Dimension 4300 Systems?

I love that this system lets me reply to this message from 12 years ago.

For anyone looking to preserve the usefulness of one of these 4300s, I strongly recommend that you max out your RAM to 1gb, yes, of course.

But beyond that, what's really helped was adding an SSD, and telling Windows to put its swap/cache file on it.

If you can make your C drive an SSD, including the swap file, that's best, but it can be tough finding a card that can allow you to boot off of an SSD.

$70 gets you a Kingston 120GB drive on Amazon right now.  The machine is easily 2-5x faster at everything it does.

0 Kudos
7- Thorium

Hi therentabrain,

That's impressive, putting an SSD on a Dimension 4300. So may I ask what controller card you used?

0 Kudos
rdunnill
5 Osmium

Note that Windows XP is ignorant of the nature of SSDs and will treat one as if it were a traditional spindle drive, causing premature wear. For that reason, and that Microsoft is dropping support for XP in under three months, you might consider upgrading to Windows 7. (1gb of RAM is sufficient for Windows 7 32-bit.)

0 Kudos