Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 19th, 2013 17:00

Media Card Reader works intermittently for SD cards

My Media Card Reader frequently does not work with SD or SDHC cards.  I can read the card by inserting it into a USB SD Adapter device.  Also, I've eliminated the possibility that it is a problem with the SD card, as I have several and when it works with one, it works for all.  Or if one fails, they all fail.  The drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer.

Sometimes I can get the computer to recognize the Media Card Reader by rebooting.  Sometimes not.  I initially thought it may be a Vista problem but I recently upgraded to 7 pro x64 and still have the intermittent problem.

Is an updated driver available?

August 19th, 2013 18:00

Hi Lee Beck,

The intermittent issue of Media Card Reader not working. Could be due to the USB Root Hubs present in the Device Manager. So first of all, we will have to uninstall the USB Root Hubs. Follow the steps below to uninstall the USB Root Hubs.

• Click on Start Pearl Button
  • In the Search box just above it, type Device Manager
  • Open Device Manager
  • Scroll down to the bottom
  • Expand the option 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'
  • Right click on all the 'USB Root Hub' devices and click on Uninstall
  • Uninstall all the USB Root Hubs one by one.
  • Close Device Manager

Here is a screenshot below for your reference.

Now restart the computer once, and those USB Root Hub's will automatically re-install itself. This should fix your problem. If not, then you can also update the drivers of the Card Reader by going to the Dell Support website. For exact drivers, please mention the model number of your computer.

79 Posts

August 19th, 2013 19:00

Thanks for your quick response.  I've been working on your suggestion for over an hour.  It may be the solution but I don't know.  I uninstalled USB Root Hubs but when I got to one, number six of eight I think, it disabled my mouse requiring a hard boot.  I did this 4 or 5 times and each time the USB Root Hubs were reinstalled.  The SD card reader didn't work between tries.  Once my printer was uninstalled and reinstalled after I followed instructions and inserted the original installation CD.  On the final try I got a BSOD and the computer rebooted itself.

The Media Card Reader now is reading my SD cards, so your suggestion may have fixed it.  But as I mentioned it is an intermittent problem anyway.  I'm reluctant to mark this as a solution since it may mislead another forum visitor.

I'll check on an updated driver as you suggest.

Thanks for your help.

August 20th, 2013 13:00

Hi Lee Beck,

You are welcome!

Yes I do understand its an intermittent issue, so the best thing would be to keep the computer under observation for a couple of days and let me know the results. 

If you are still facing the intermittent SD card reading issues, then we will certainly look into it and get it fixed for you.

No Events found!