Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 25th, 2009 10:00

Memory Upgrade & Search Engine Keywords

I've got an old Optiplex GX620 Tower at work with 1.5 GB of RAM that I'd like to max out at 4 GB.

The manual says it takes dual-channel DDR2 and cautions not to install ECC modules.

I've tried searching online for "Non-ECC", but it looks like most vendors use keywords like PC3200, PC2-4200 or PC2-5300. Personally, I don't know how or if this translates to ECC or Non-ECC.

What keywords should I be using in my online search?

Thanks,
~Joe 

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 12:00

Hello again,

You can use a small program CPUID to see what your memory is now.

The first number is CAS Latency. The time it takes to access one column of data. Smaller = Faster

The second number is the time it takes to find the row of data. Smaller = Faster

The third number is the time it takes to close the data in the first two numbers. Smaller = Faster

The forth number is the minimum number of clock cycles it takes to perform actions 1-2-3. This the is fastest the RAM can go.

Got all that? There is also SPD Serial Presence Detect that contains sets of special instructions.

But, what you need to know is Dell and other OEM makers do not list the requirements for the memory in their systems. So even if you match these four timings, and the speed, and the maker of the memory, you will not know if it works in your specific system until you plug it in.

Look at all the memory part numbers made by just one large maker. There can be a very large number part numbers for the same size, type, speed of memory. This is because there are things that I can only suggest inside the chips that change them in ways as to prevent them from working in one system but be required for another.

The memory pages at my web site are pretty clear that to make certain memory bought for a specific Dell model works, it needs to be listed by the memory maker for that system.

3.4K Posts

November 25th, 2009 14:00

Thanks for the kind words, and the confirmed answer.

I have not had any formal training in computers, memory, or IT, so I'm not an expert by any means. I just play one here on this forum. :emotion-15:

What I know, I have learned as needed because of major support issues with Dell years ago. I don't believe Dell supports customers as they should, so I use their forum to do what Dell seemingly chooses not to do.

I only have a vague idea of what you offer, but if you are ever in San Diego you can buy me a beer. :emotion-22:

3.4K Posts

Hello,

Non-parity would equal non-ECC. While parity would equal ECC.

Dell systems can be quite picky with memory upgrades as you can read about on the memory pages of my web site if you wish.:emotion-36:

15 Posts

Thanks! That is very helpful!

The fastest RAM the site showed as available was CT834400 or CT838062, both with 4-4-4-12 timings.

How do I find out what timings my system supports? I found some 5-5-5-12, but I don't know what this means. Is it better or worse? Would it be supported or not?

Thanks for your help!

15 Posts

November 25th, 2009 13:00

That is an amazing program! Fantastic, and Thank You!

It looks like I have 1.5 GB of PC2-4300 (266 MHz) memory and I can go up to 4 GB of 800 MHz memory.

My current configuration is 4-4-4-12, but stepping up from 266 MHz to 800 MHz while doubling the size should be well worth the $100 expense.

I just have to get my boss to OK this now.

Thanks for the "Confirmed" answer!

~Joe

3.4K Posts

It looks like I have 1.5 GB of PC2-4300 (266 MHz) memory and I can go up to 4 GB of 800 MHz memory.

My current configuration is 4-4-4-12, but stepping up from 266 MHz to 800 MHz while doubling the size should be well worth the $100 expense.

Hello again,

Sorry to disillusion you ...

But it seems that your systems max is 667 MHz "If" the CPU and front side buss allow it. I assume that you are looking at the Crucial memory site for these 800 numbers? And yes, they do show 800 MHz memory for your system, but it can only run as fast as the system will allow. Your current 266 MHz memory is really what is known as 533 MHz.

The reason for this is DDR. [Double Data Rate] Each chip has two rows running in tandem at 266. Two times 266 = 533.

I just don't want you to expect to see your new memory running faster than 266. And yes, the faster memory shown will in fact work in your system as it slows to the speeds required by the system. But why sell faster memory to you? Faster memory in most cases is newer, and the machines that make the memory are set up for that speed and there is a much fuller (read - lower cost) supply.

Have I confused you yet? Too much information?

15 Posts

Oh yeah! I forgot that is what DDR2 means.

No Sir, you haven't confused me, just kept me from being disillusioned. I don't typically do this stuff on a daily basis, so it is nice having someone that is up on this in my corner.

Now, if you need a Windows or Mobile C# application to link up to your SQL database, come on over and we'll talk!

Happy Thanksgiving,
~Joe 

No Events found!