Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 19th, 2009 09:00

Memory for my XP 400

My computer is a 32 bit processor (I need explaining on this) and I just upgraded to 2 gb from 1 gb.  Recently I had a virus on my computer of which has never been resolved since my first session with Dell.  Everytime they fix something, I get another problem.  Just last night I installed the Norton 360 Premier (installed by Dell).  Please keep in mind that everytime I talk with Dell, I get con into buying something for whatever reason.  Last night I purchased 2 more gb which will be my computer's capacity.  I was told by several computer techs that Windows XP only recognizes 2gb  (I need explaining on this also).  So I hoping that I get an honest response from you.

Is it worth it me getting the other 2 gb to exceed my capacity since I am told that it will only recognize 2gb?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 19th, 2009 11:00

ShabbyChic40

As you have a 32-bit system, the better memory upgrade, would be to 3gb, but as you have XP, the 2gb should be more than adequate.

When you have a 32bit system, this does not recognize 4gb of memory. 3gb± is all a 32bit system can address.

Basically what it means is, while you can install 4gb of memory in the system, the reason it’s not recognized is mainly due to 32-bit processors & 32-bit applications on memory address limitations.

64-bit processors & operating systems will recognize beyond the 32-bit limitation.

See HERE

Bev.

February 20th, 2009 05:00

Thank you for you response.  It was definitely helpful.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

February 20th, 2009 10:00

ShabbyChic40

Happy to have helped.

Bev.

No Events found!