Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

February 17th, 2010 10:00

Memory strips on my E521

I put two new 1G Kingston DDR2 667Mhz PC25300 strips into slots 3 & 4 on my Dell E521.  I went to check the system information and it states:

"Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.00 GB usable)"

I have swapped out several strips and the only change is that before it said  "2 GB active"

I went into the CMOS setup and it says that in slot 3 the "rank" is 1 while in slots 1, 2, and 4 it is rank 2.  I do not think this refers to the chip layout rank since all the chips, including the two original strips are all one sided 8 chips.

I also upgraded with two new graphics cards, a 1GB GeForce 9600GT and a eForce 6200.

The machine is working OK, but I wold like to get the advantage of maximum memory use.

Any ideas ?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 11:00

Hi, malcbern:

Just as an aside, they're called modules, not strips. :emotion-5:

Are 1&2 matched, and are 3&4 matched pairs? From your documentation, "For best performance, memory modules should be installed in pairs of matched memory size, speed, and technology. If the memory modules are not installed in matched pairs, the computer will operate, but with a slight reduction in performance. (See the label on the module to determine the module's capacity.) For example, if you install a mixed pair of DDR2 533-MHz and DDR2 667-MHz memory, the modules function at the slowest speed installed."

Try putting the Kingston modules in by themselves and see if the system recognizes just those.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2010 13:00

One other thing occurred to me.  I have put in one GeForce video card with 1GB and another with 512MB.  Do these interfere in any way with the restriction of 4GB for the computer's memory capacity?

7 Posts

February 17th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for your help.  I checked the modules(!) again, and indeed one of the new Kingston modules was one rank, and the other two (with chips on both sides, as are the original Dell modules).  The original Dells are both 533 and the Kingstons are both 667.  I replaced the Kingston two rank with a Kingston one rank (all purchased at the same time) and then put them in the 1&2 paired slots 2GB at a time and all the modules worked, but never giving 4GB when all four slots are populated, either with the Dell in 1&2 or the Kingston in 1&2.

Is it possible that some setting has to be adjusted, or a jumper changed?  Is there some diagnostic to determine whether the slots are defective (although both CMOS setup and the Computer Properties window indicate that the 4GB are present)?

Incidentally, while doing all of those powers on and off and module switching, at one point the system told me Ihad irreparable errors and could not start Windows, but upon powering down again (and resetting the onboard video memory back to 64K) everything came back up OK.  But still only recognizing the 2GB.

Any more thoughts?

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 17th, 2010 16:00

No, you have discrete video memory so that will not impact your system RAM.

If I understand correctly, your Kingston RAM is not a matched pair. Is that right? Again, try just the Kingston by itself and see what happens.

7 Posts

February 17th, 2010 17:00

I have bought a total of six Kingston modules from MicroCenter now.  The pair I have installed now is a matched pair.  I tried it in slots 1&2 and everthing booted up and worked fine at the 2GB level

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 18th, 2010 05:00

So with a matched pair in slots 1&2 and a second matched pair in slots 3&4, does the entire 4GB show up?

Keep in mind that a 32-bit OS is not going to recognize the entire 4GB, only about 3GB. But it should still be more than 2GB.

7 Posts

February 18th, 2010 07:00

With matched pairs, the Properties screen says: Installed memory (RAM): 4.00 GB (2.00 GB usable)"

Same as ever.

Can I put three chips in and see if it comes up 3GB?  The Athlonsays it runs 64 bit but my Windows 7 is 32 bit.

Is there some way of testing memory?  I looked at memtest86 but my primary (bootable) CD is acting up (my next project) so I haven't tried that.

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

February 18th, 2010 10:00

So the hardware appears to be working, which makes this an OS problem. I would try posting in the Microsoft OS forum.

No Events found!