Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 9th, 2014 18:00

Microsoft says they cannot help me. Possible hard drive malfunction or bios.

I'll start from the beginning and i will try to make it brief. The first issue happened 3 weeks ago. I first noticed I could no longer open my antivirus(malwarebytes). Once I started to investigate I found I could no longer download anything(including from usb) or access my hard drive in anyway including files that would be found on my hard drive. also no coping either. Thinking it was a permission problem I found I still had all the same permissions i always have being the admin. The hard drive no longer displays an owner and the hidden admin account cant do any more than my normal admin. System restore tells me i am missing a driver and cannot restore. all restore points are also non existent now. Only break through i had was i could download most things in safe mode. no after Microsoft used remote access on my computer 3 days in a row they informed me they could not fix the issue and they believe it to be hard drive or bios based from the diagnostics they did which i never got the results to. 

Now what brings me here. i don't everything about computers and have tried but not succeeded in updating the bios. I have checked the hard drive for physical issues which i saw none also no weird noises. epsa came up with no faults anywhere on PC

Ok so thats a cluster of information i'll post my specs below, and i will be monitoring the thread if anyone has questions or possible solutions to this gaggle of problems.

Computer: Alienware Aurora R4

Bios: A07

hard drive: seagate barracuda 3000gb

Processor: intel i7-3820

not sure if you need all of that or anything more.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 13th, 2014 11:00

Did you scan for malware?

Did you check Device Manager for any hardware item(s) that may be flagged?

Since it works in Safe Mode, this is clearly a software issue. So now that files are backed up on laptop, you may want to wipe the hard drive and do a clean install of Windows.

4 Posts

October 13th, 2014 14:00

I was able to scan for malware, but found nothing. After backing up I did contact dell support expecting to system restore. Unfortunately my computer isn't under warranty anymore so the price was hefty just to be told I must restore. The tech informed me I have a corrupted Windows file which caused the access denied errors including the errors within the OS reinstallation. To mend this he had me download a driver(Intel rapid storage technology driver) and extract into a thumb drive in which needed to be placed in a usb 2.0. After restarting the computer the installation worked fine. Everything is working correctly now.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

October 9th, 2014 19:00

Microsoft does not remote into your system.  I YOGI scammers that install malware on your machine do that sort of thing,

4 Posts

October 9th, 2014 19:00

Microsoft can and will remote access your computer if you ask them to. the service I used which i was refunded for was the "premium software support" here http://answerdesk.microsoftstore.com/msusa/en-us/answerdesk/SoftwareSupport Thank you for trying to alert me of a possible scam though.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 9th, 2014 20:00

Since you can boot in Safe Mode, that implies the hardware is ok.  So I'd suggest you scan thoroughly for malware after booting in Safe Mode, before doing anything else.

If you open Device Manager after booting in Safe Mode, is anything marked with red X or yellow ! ? That might tell you what driver(s) is missing and needs to be reinstalled.

Assuming there's no malware, you should be able to do some diagnostics in Safe Mode  and/or run an OS Repair.  

4 Posts

October 13th, 2014 01:00

Ran what diagnostics I could. Del detect won't work. No error just doesn't work. I removed the hard drive and plugged it into my laptop. Works fine there. Access to all files. I'm able to back up. So I'm still not sure what could be causing this.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

October 13th, 2014 15:00

No Events found!