Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

August 23rd, 2015 19:00

Monitor goes blank after changing from VGA to DVI-D

I have this problem where I recently swapped out my VGA and directly installed a DVI-D cable to the monitor.  When i power up the comp it will be fine but sometimes the screen will go blank for a few seconds then come back on.  Just a little while ago the screen went blank and didn't come back.  I had to shut down my comp by pressing the power button for 5 seconds.   My video card is a Radeon HD 5870 which I believe supports DVI-D.  The back has 2 DVI connectors and 2 HDMI.  To connect the VGA I'm using a VGA-DVI adapter that came with the comp.  The Monitor is a Dell 1907FP.  It has a VGA and DVI connector.  The specs for the monitor say that it supports DVI-D. 

So when it is connected VGA cable directly to the monitor and connected with the adapter in back of the comp the video is fine.  It stays on.  But when i connect the DVI-D cable directly from the video card directly to the monitor it is going out.  Sometimes the screen comes back on and sometimes it doesn't.  Is there a problem with the cable?  It is brand new.  Or is there something in the graphics card setting that i need to do?  This kind of monitor is Plug and Play so there are no drivers to download from what i understand.  And the Video card is updated.  So what's causing this?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 25th, 2015 14:00

Are you sure 1907FP is the right model number? I only see a 1908FP and a 1707FP.

On the 1908FP, there's an input select button on front panel. So make sure you press it and select DVI if you're using a DVI>DVI cable.

19 Posts

August 26th, 2015 18:00

Oh Yeah it's the right on alright.  Check the link.

http://www.dell.com/downloads/emea/products/snp/UltraSharp%201907FP_%20EN.pdf

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 26th, 2015 19:00

Odd that 1907FP isn't listed on the monitors support page.  :emotion-18:

But the suggestion is the same. Look for an Input button on the monitor itself or a setting in the on-screen display (OSD) to set input to DVI when using DVI>DVI cable.

19 Posts

August 27th, 2015 18:00

Well I was looking through the computer properties through the device management and Monitor properties it has a driver update.  I clicked on update and it updated.  After update it said Analog (because  I had the VGA in).  So I swapped cables and restarted the comp but it still didn't start in the top DVI connector.  So i forced shut down plugged into bottom connector and it works.  Right away I went to the monitor properties and updated this time with the DVI connected.  It updated and said Digital.  So that is good.  But there is still a problem with the top connector because I shut down and move the cable from bottom to top and it still no picture.  

The button on the left monitor is the Self test feature which has those colors bars but it says 1: Analog input.  When i press the button to go away it does and a second later in the middle of the screen it says 2: Digital Input.  So i don't know if that is supposed to be or what.  When I click on OSD it says on the bottom 2: Digital.  And also there is no settings that I can change that give the option between DVI and VGA.  I think I may have done something wrong.  Let me try something.  I''ll be back. 

19 Posts

August 27th, 2015 19:00

Ok,well same thing.  Picture if plugged into bottom but not top connector of DVI.  Self check says same thing as before when connected into both.  Self check says 1:analog.  Press input button to turn off self check, in middle of screen says 2: Digital.  This is with computer off, monitor on.  I didn't have computer off before.  Also when OSD pressed it says 2:digital but it also says it's in power save mode and move mouse or press keyboard.  Well computer's not on.  When plugged into top DVI, turn on Comp, still no pic, and OSD says 2: Digital and in power save mode.  I move mouse, press key, it doesn't get out of power save mode.  If I plug into bottom DVI, turn on comp, get picture, press OSD get OSD menu.  So some please explain that to me.  Frustrating. :emotion-43:

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

August 28th, 2015 10:00

Exactly what PC model is this?

When you say "top DVI" and "bottom DVI" ports, are they both on the HD 5870 card or is one actually on the PC, itself?

If your PC has its own onboard DVI port, and there's another one on the video card, the PC's onboard port will be automatically disabled when the video card is installed. So connecting the monitor to the onboard DVI port won't send a video signal to the monitor. And that sounds like your situation.

Some newer models may have an option in BIOS called Intel Multi-display (or Multi-monitor) which allows both the onboard and video card DVI ports to be used at same time if you want to connect two monitors. You don't need to enable that option if you only use one monitor, and one monitor has to be connected to the video card's DVI port.

No Events found!