Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

July 21st, 2009 16:00

Mouse freezes

At unpredictable times, my mouse freezes. When this happens, the cursor stops tracking and there's no response to the mouse buttons. The PC still responds to the keyboard, though.
I've managed to limp along by resuscitating the PC as follows:
1. Use the keyboard to save my work and restart the PC. Sometimes the mouse is back in action, and I get back to work. Sometimes it takes two or three restarts. Sometimes switching to a different USB port seems to help.
2. Otherwise, I do a more radical restart, shutting down the PC, unplugging it, waiting a few minutes, plugging it back in, and restarting. Over time, the problem crops up more and more frequently.
3. When things get bad, I swap the mouse with a spare. Usually the spare mouse is ok at first, but later I find myself repeating steps 1 and 2 over again.
4. When things get worse, I swap the spare mouse back with the original one. This seems to have the same impact as the opposite swap.

Is there some way to prevent the mouse from freezing?

Configuration:
There are two PCs displaying the same symptoms. Both are Dell Dimension desktop PCs.
Each PC uses the Dell USB HID-compliant mouse that came with the PC. One is a ball mouse; the other, optical. The spare mouse is a Microsoft Basic Optical Mouse.
Microsoft mouse driver 5.1.2600.0 dated 7-1-01.
The first PC has a Samsung 22UW monitor with built-in USB hub. It makes no difference whether its mouse is plugged into the monitor or directly into the PC.
The second PC has a hub-less Dell monitor. Its mouse always plugs directly into the PC.
Both PCs run Windows XP SP3. The update from SP2 to SP3 seems to have made things worse, but I'm not really sure there's a connection.
I disabled power management for the USB hubs, but it didn't help.
I don't use standby mode or hibernation. I don't have Bluetooth.
Thanks for any help.

1 Message

November 22nd, 2014 14:00

Hi. I have a Dell Dimension 660s. I've had problems with the mouse freezing on me until some other task is completed. This has occurred when just one (foreground) task is running. I bought the wireless mouse and keyboard combination, so I have had persistent problems with both. I finally gave up and when back to the wired keyboard and mouse. Things have improved dramatically. I would recommend that No one purchase the wireless accessory. as I causes too many problems.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

November 22nd, 2014 14:00

This thread has been locked due to it's age, if you have a similar issue, please use the 'New Post' feature at the top of this page and start a new thread.

Bev. 

No Events found!