Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 9th, 2014 20:00

My Studio 540 desktop won't start up

My Studio desktop - 4 1/2 years old will not start at all. 10 days ago it stopped working. Power supply had green light on but when power button pressed, green light when off. I took off all cables, including power cable, pressed power button for 15 -20 secs, -opened case, re-seated video card, made sure it was firmly in place. I've got 2  hard drives, only use one. other one not connected for more than year.Couldnt see anything wrong inside computer just by looking. A few days later pressed Power button and computer started normally. It was ok for 3-4 days then again stopped working.Green light on PSU was on, but went off as before when power button pressed. took out power cable - tried it in wall outlet,checked DVI cable in video card to see if  good connectiion -put back power cable and green light came on, but went out when power button pressed. I read a lot of messages here and tried some advice given to others with computer not starting, but no luck I saw a post here about  checking motherboard switch butnot familiar with doing that and not sure where that switch is. I haven't checked the RAM or battery.. I am wondering if computer symptoms souhnds like a PSU problem? does anybody had any ideas? Thanks for any advice. I am using my laptop but use desktop more . 

July 10th, 2014 02:00

Hi Book92,

Thank you for Writing to Dell Community.

Looks like the PSU (Power Supply Unit) has gone faulty on the system as the PSU is not able to receive power from the main source. I would recommend you have the PSU replaced on the system.

In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Let us know your findings.

28 Posts

July 10th, 2014 21:00

Hi Book92,

Thank you for Writing to Dell Community.

Looks like the PSU (Power Supply Unit) has gone faulty on the system as the PSU is not able to receive power from the main source. I would recommend you have the PSU replaced on the system.

In case the system is under warranty, send me a private message with the system service tag to assist you further.  Please click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Let us know your findings.

Hi Tabassum M.

Thanks for reply. I also thought it it might be the power supply, but was not sure. I have an extra power supply but it's got the old style connectors.I will buy a new power supply for SATA drives, and see if it solves things. The one I have now is 300W. I will get 400W or 500W.  I can install it myself. I also wondered if the problem could be the coin battery as  the desktop is over 4 years old,but I suspect the PSU more.  I 'll l let you know .By the way, I put checkmark in "Email me replies to this post" but did not get an email that there was a message here for me which you posted early on July 10. I hope I am typing this and quoting in correct places.I have no warranty by the way. Thank you.

28 Posts

July 11th, 2014 15:00

Hi Tabassum, About buying a PSU for my 540, I forgot to add info.As I said, my 540 had 2 X  7.5G hard drives in it when I bought it, and also had RAID support.I didnt know about either of these 2 things I changed to ATA  in BIOS  right away, and its worked ok. I wouldprobably order a PSU online.Its easier for me -maybe from Best Buy or Future shop (I'm in Toronto,Canada).They don't sell PSU'S in their stores,but sell them online.I can pick one up at store near me later.But I am wondering should I order a PSU which is same as I now have with 2 connectors for each of 2 drives?( I would never use 2 drives) but if I get a PSU for only one drive it may not work as my PSU was meant for two drives?.It seems to me I diconnected HD0 when I first got it, and tried o use HD1 but it didn't work. I had to use HD0.The PSU says ATX on label so its not proprietary.Thanks.

July 12th, 2014 22:00

Hi Book92,

I was on my weekly offs when you had messaged me and so I couldn’t get back to you on time.

I would suggest you to replace the PSU with the similar one that came along with the system. As the System was built and tested with the same PSU.

At this point since the system is not receiving any Power, the issue seems to be with the PSU. The PSU supported for this system is 350 / 300 W.

Also, I have attached the service manual in the below link for your reference in Disassembling of the PSU.

Hope this Helps.

http://bit.ly/1qvO44A

28 Posts

July 14th, 2014 18:00

Hi Tabassum M,

Thank you forthe link you gave me for the Service Manual. I got a small manual with computer but the link you gave me was much more helpful. I wanted to see a diagram of motherboard and the link you gave me is much bigger and easier to read.I checked the cables in the computer more close and PSU and notice there are two blue 8 or 9 pin cables going from motherboard to next to power cable which goes into hard drive. I thought at first the blue cables were part of the power supply cables but they are not. On  "system settings" on link above numbered 10-14 on the motherboard are for the blue cable connectors  which are  " Serial ATA drive connections, SATA 00, SATA01. SATA03/04 .I am only using SATA00. Can you tell me what the blue cables are for? Would they have anything to do with my computer problem? I've never seen them in older computers.Also, should I test the battery on MB?

I think I might get a power supply from computer chain store near me, which stocks it, instead of online. It's their own brand.Maybe not the best PSU. I checked power supply in the computer and it only has two  SATA power connectors.(one for each drive) so I think a regular ATX power supply with 2 connectors on the power supply should be ok?. At first, I thought I might need 4 connectors, But looking closer there is only one connector for each hard drive, plus one blue connector (whatever its for)..The  PSU I have is 350W, but 400W may be ok too. I only have a DVD ROM. and video card in computer. 

25 Posts

July 14th, 2014 21:00

When the PC wont boot is it doing anything?

If it powers on momenterily and gives a series of beeps it could be your RAM being dirty / not seatong correctly, if its not booting AT ALL it's defineitly the PSU.

28 Posts

July 14th, 2014 22:00

It doesn't boot at all. There is no beeps. Probably the PSU. Thanks.

July 15th, 2014 01:00

Hi Book92,

Thank you for your kind response. I am glad the link was helpful.

Regarding the blue cable it is the SATA cable. In order to resolve the issue you may replace the PSU and let us know how it goes.

28 Posts

July 15th, 2014 12:00

Hi Tabassum M:

Thank you for your replies and helpful information. I will get a replacement for the PSU and hope that solves the problem. I will let you know.

July 15th, 2014 23:00

Hi Book92,

You're welcome. Hope that should solve the issue.

Feel free to reply once replacement is done.

28 Posts

July 28th, 2014 19:00

Hi Dell-Tabassum M:

Finally getting back here. It was the PSU which is no surprise. It took me a while to get a power supply but I got one about a week ago and installed it on my desktop but it was far from easy.It took me an hour and a half to install it. I've installed a few power supplies in the past 20 years but it wasn't near as bad as installing this one. I didn't know the style of PSU's had changed which I didn't know. I expected it to be the same as my computer which is 4 years old and its the old stayle PSUwiht the fan out the top at the back.

The one I got at the computer strore near me is very different from the ones I installed, and the room inside the desktop is so cramped not much room to put my hands in.You would have a lot of trouble installing the newer ones.I scratched my hands trying to put the connector in the back of the DVD-Rom and the connector on the motherboard. It took several tries as I couldnt see down that far. Also, It didn't look right hen I put in the PSU that it faced so close to the CPU -there is only about 1/4" between them.

I could have got a PSU like my previous one but everywhere I looked here online and even at the store where I got it, you could only order the older ones online, so I just bought the only one that the store has online and in the store. It seems to work ok, but I wouldn't want to install another one any time soon. Anyway, just letting you know.

No Events found!