Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

September 13th, 2013 05:00

My monitor showed a distorted picture

The monitor that came with my Dell XPS is (Admin Note: Service Tag removed as per Privacy Policy )

I leave my computer/monitor on all the time. For the second time in about a month, when I came to my computer this morning my desktop was distorted. It was stretched way out lengthwise, and did not fill the whole screen horizontally. I could not reach my "Start" button. I had to shutdown using the power button and then when it restarted it was fine. 

I have no other issues. I get fantastic color and picture on this monitor.

Does this indicate something serious? Is there anything I can do to correct it other than force a shutdown?

4 Operator

• 

3.3K Posts

September 13th, 2013 12:00

Hi Nikilet,

When does the issue occur? Is it when the computer is in sleep mode or only the tower is Powered off?

Check if the issue persists in Safemode with networking.  Restart the computer and tap F8 at Dell logo. Select Safemode with networking.

Also, may I know the monitor model number?

Awaiting your response!

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

September 25th, 2013 21:00

I did not know I had received an answer. Sorry. My monitor is DELL E207WFP [Monitor] (20.0"vis, s/n CK63075P007L, May 2007)

I can't answer your first question. When I leave my computer on I do not turn the power off so the power to the tower would be on. I don't know if I actually have it set for sleep mode. I have no screen saver and after a short time the screen just goes to black. Usually I just shake my mouse to bring my desktop back up.

Today I had a strange thing happen as far as display. I had my Chrome browser open and got called away from the computer unexpectedly. I didn't shut the browser down when I left. When I came back quite some time later the browser screen was just blank except for what appeared to be little stretched lines all over and it was froze. I tried bringing up the Task Manager with the shortcut keys but nothing worked so I had to force a shutdown.

1 Rookie

• 

80 Posts

October 17th, 2013 17:00

Is anyone ever going to get back to me on this issue?

No Events found!