This post is more than 5 years old

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 14th, 2008 23:00

NEW ESA software, Firmware 22, Custom Profiles for Color LEDs and Fan Speed

See new instructions below.
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 07-16-2008 03:46 PM

Dell customer care/service. If already out of warranty, click hereFind your Service Tag
DELL-Chris M
#IWork4Dell

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

July 16th, 2008 19:00

NOTES
* I have the XPS 630 bios 1.0.7 loaded. Private message me if you want me to email it to you.
* I have the XPS 630 ESA Master I/O firmware 22 loaded but, at the end of these steps, I will reflash the Master I/O to firmware 22 to get a true default starting point.
* Since you are removing all ESA software and reinstalling it from scratch, you must follow these instructions to have Performance and System Update appear in the NVIDIA Control Panel.

WALKTHROUGH
* Create a folder on your desktop called Downloads and download the following current Dell files into that folder
- DELL_SYSTEM-UTILITIES-ESA_A01_R192448.exe = A01 Master I/O Firmware
- Dell_ESA-Performance_A04_R192445.exe = A04 ESA Performance (It is labeled as Firmware but that is incorrect)
- R176333.exe = ESA nVMonitor
- R176128.exe = ESA System Update

* Open the Control Panel- Add or Remove Programs and remove these
NVIDIA Performance (make sure to remove all Profiles if asked)
NVIDIA System Monitor
NVIDIA System Update
* You might ask, Why don't you have the nVidia MediaShield Driver and Application loaded?. I do not currently have a raid setup so I do not need it

* Install Dell_ESA-Performance_A04_R192445.exe
* Install R176333.exe
* Install R176128.exe
* Double-click the DELL_SYSTEM-UTILITIES-ESA_A01_R192448.exe file and notate where it extracts itself (C:\dell\drivers\R192448)

* Click Start- Programs- NVIDIA Corporation- NVIDIA Control Panel- Performance
* Click Custom View- Advanced
* Under Performance, click Accept End User License Agreement
* Click Agree
* Under System Update, click Update your ESA Firmware
* Click Browse
* Navigate to C:\dell\drivers\R192448
* Click XPS630-FW-X01.hex
* Click Open
* Click Load FW
* The colored LEDs will revert to the factory defaults (aqua?)
* Click OK to the message, Your firmware was updated successfully
* Close all boxes and restart the PC

PURPLE COLORED LEDs
* Under Performance, click Device Settings
* Click the Chassis icon
* Leave the check on Automatic fan control. My default settings are HDD Fan = 33%, PCI Cage Fan = 44%
* I want all my Color LEDs to be Purple
Red = 15
Green = 0
Blue = 9
* Click Apply. They all turned Purple
* At the top of the NVIDIA Control Panel, click Profile- Save
* Save as Purple.nsu
* Click Save
* Under Performance, click Profile policies
* In the top window, check Load this Profile
* In the left box, click The system first starts Windows
* Click the Right Arrow button
* In the right box, click the word Profile
* Click Purple.nsu
* Click Open
* Click Accept
* Click File- Exit
* Restart the PC. The purple color profile should load automatically

HIGHER FAN SPEEDS FOR GAMING
* Under Performance, click Device Settings
* Click the Chassis icon
* Remove the check from Automatic fan control
* Move both sliders to 55%
* Click Apply
* The fans will speed up to 55% but the numbers will NOT represent this. The new ESA software will correct this. But, they are at 55%, you can hear that they are louder
* At the top of the NVIDIA Control Panel, click Profile- Save
* Save as Fan55.nsu
* Click Save
* Under Performance, click Profile policies
* In the top window, check Load this Profile
* In the left box, click Game is loaded
* Click the Right Arrow button
* In the right box, click the word Game
* Click Add Game
* Add the Game Description (City of Heroes)
* Right of Game Executable, click the box with three dots
* Navigate to the game executable file (CityOfHeroes.exe)
* Click Open
* Click OK
* Click OK
* In the right box, click the word Profile
* Click Fan55.nsu
* Click Open
* Click Accept
* Click File- Exit
* Restart the PC
* On restart, my fans backed down to defaults 33% and 44% since I did not have the game started
* I started the game and they ramped back up to 55% although the numbers did not say so. Again, we will fix this in the new ESA software
* I backed out of the game and restarted the PC. The fans went back down to defaults 33% and 44%
Message Edited by DELL-Chris_M on 07-16-2008 03:45 PM

32 Posts

July 17th, 2008 04:00

Chris can you send me the new Bios and ESA software please.  Thanks.

7 Posts

July 17th, 2008 07:00

It is running OK although I have not attempted to 'tweak' any of the ESA features as yet.  I am waiting for definitive updates that will hopefully fix the known problems.  This is my second box after going through 2 MOBOs, 2 CPUs and DVD drive replacements on my first box to try and fix the problems that seem now to be coming to light related to the ESA, Master MIO board and BIOS.

I have had the problem with the DVD drive not autoplaying. Sometimes when I start the PC it will not even see the DVD I have left in the drive until ejected and reentered.  Following other peoples suggestions I have stopped the PowerDVD service PDVDDXsrc which  seems to at least allows the drive to autoplay the drive sometimes.  Loading the burning software ImgBurn is a no-goer, it fails consistently to even pass its discovery diagnostic.

Re the RAID controller being loaded.  In my BIOS there is no ability to enable/disable RAID?  As I have no RAID I assume it should be disabled?

However I found it under the NVidia Control panel/Performance/Dynamic BIOS access/peripherals settings.  It was as suspected 'enabled'.  I have disabled it and the RAID controller has gone from my Device manager. :-) But surely this should be settable in BIOS directly so when installing the OS from scratch the system does not look for a RAID controller to install?  If this were the case do the mediashield drivers need to be loaded at all?

BTW I haven't seen any other mention of it, but under the same section in the NVidia control panel the  HD Audio setting is about face?  It says 'disabled' when the audio is enabled and if that setting is changed it DISABLES the audio?

July 17th, 2008 16:00

Hi,

Thx for your e-mail with the new Bios and the new ESA software but, the BIOS file doesn't run, windows is saying ( sorry for this translation I'm french :smileytongue: ) : "Windows couldn't access to the peripheral,the acces directory or the specified file..." ( and yes I've renamed it to XPS630i-010007.exe" )

I've try to launch the 1.0.5 Bios downloadable from Dell.com and it runs... ( but I already have the 1.0.5 bios installed :P )

I'm administrator of my computer ( no problem with I've got all the admin rights on windows vista ). Perhaps you file was corrupted ?

Thx for your support see you !

Edit : Sorry I've fixed it myself... xD just right click,settings and : Unlock this file

Message Edited by jordan57740 on 07-17-2008 12:42 PM

201 Posts

July 19th, 2008 01:00

So, has any of this helped anything for anyone?  Or is your system the same as before these new updates?

7 Posts

July 19th, 2008 02:00

Chris

Following your instructions earlier in this tread where do I find the links to download

They are NOT under system Utilities?

Thanks

105 Posts

July 19th, 2008 02:00

@Micky_f wrote:

Chris

Following your instructions earlier in this tread where do I find the links to download

They are NOT under system Utilities?

Thanks

ESA Performance R192445
ESA System Monitor R176333
ESA System Update R176128

65 Posts

July 19th, 2008 10:00

Hi all,

This message is mainly for Chris_M.  I haven't checked the forum for a while and I notice that there is a new BIOS being discussed,(1.0.7) and new ESA firmware.  Should I update or not as my fan speeds and leds are changeable although the true speeds are not correctly shown?  I have BIOS 1.0.5 at the moment.  I cannot change any of the values re overclocking as it just freezes when I attempt this.  The reason I ask is because I have managed to get the control panel fairly stable by reseting the MIO and loading the latest software from Nvidia.  Obviously I would like to use the latest software from Dell so can I update the ESA without updating the Bios?

33 Posts

July 20th, 2008 20:00

I'm really not having a lot of luck with this computer, just followed Chris' walkthrough carefully and created a profile to increase the fan speed to 55 when playing games. Did exactly as described except added 3 games to the list.

However, whenever I try to stat pme of my (3) games the machine locks solid and the only option is to power down??

What on earth is going on here ?

getting very upset with my 630 :(

Thanks for your help

105 Posts

July 21st, 2008 16:00

@Spo0ok wrote:

I'm really not having a lot of luck with this computer, just followed Chris' walkthrough carefully and created a profile to increase the fan speed to 55 when playing games. Did exactly as described except added 3 games to the list.

Are you saying you have three games on one policy? Or one game per policy?  For example, I have a Crysis policy, Crysis.nsu that sets my fans and leds, and then I have a seperate policy for Company of Heroes, CoH.nsu, that sets its own fan speeds and lights. 

33 Posts

July 21st, 2008 17:00

I had 3 games on the 1 policy. Is that the problem? Seems a little odd as the software let me add them and it looked like a similar set up to the rules in outlook?

So, is the solution 1 game per profile? - seems a little odd? A little reluctant to try as it locked the system solid and I had to power down to recover.....

gulp

Thanks

513 Posts

July 21st, 2008 20:00

@devjonfos wrote:

and then I have a seperate policy for Company of Heroes, CoH.nsu, that sets its own fan speeds and lights. 

Pure curiosity, not being a gamer, how do you set the lights for various games?  Any reason other than it's simply fun? :)

105 Posts

July 21st, 2008 21:00

@ElkWapiti wrote:

@devjonfos wrote:

and then I have a seperate policy for Company of Heroes, CoH.nsu, that sets its own fan speeds and lights. 

Pure curiosity, not being a gamer, how do you set the lights for various games?  Any reason other than it's simply fun? :)

Just for fun.  I have red for the application (Prime95, which uses a red icon).  I have green for CoH reflecting the land aspect of the game and I have light blue for Crysis reflecting the tropical waters, which are like gaga when swimming in them. The light reflections and the water dripping down from your face shield when you surface. Incredible!

105 Posts

July 21st, 2008 21:00

@Spo0ok wrote:

I had 3 games on the 1 policy. Is that the problem? ...

I think so.  In other words, I don't think that it was designed to have 3 on 1.  It's buggy enough with just 1 on 1, but I have been successful for two of my games and one application (that is, one profile per game or application).

513 Posts

July 21st, 2008 22:00

Fun!

Prime95 should be red. :)

No Events found!