Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2015 06:00

Need Dell One XPS 2710 Motherboard

Hello,

My 2710 went dark after switching SATA MODE in BIOS.  I tried every tip listed here but still can't get to the BIOS, I think my mobo is bricked so, I need to find a reasonably priced replacement.  Dell wants $550, any other alternative around for around $200?

Thanks.

10 Posts

January 20th, 2016 05:00

Power supply is good. Problem was as suspected in the BIOS. I managed to flash it with a working one, thanks to the help of a friend with good soldering skills. Indeed the holes i was talking about in my last post are made for accessing the bios chip without extracting it. The process wasn't easy but we did it!! So now the computer is back to life!! :DD
Tat was the good news. The bad news is that it looks like the windows 8 key was embedded in the old rom file (of that file I made a backup for safety, but i cannot read it), so i cannot install my legally owned copy of windows because i cannot get the key. By asking help from DELL, the only answer i got was "you must consider yourself lucky, you managed to revive your computer. that's already a lot. So NO, we won't help you, you must buy yourself another copy of windows." . I had Windows 8 "customer" (whatever it means).

So, don't lose hope, except in DELL. ;)

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 12th, 2015 16:00

Did you upgrade to Win 10? Dell doesn't support Win 10 on this model. And upgrading to Win 10 has bricked a lot of 2710 motherboards. :emotion-6: 

If your PC is less than 5 years old, Dell offers out of warranty repairs.  Under this program, a motherboard replacement appears to be $269.  You pay to ship it there and they pay to ship it back...

Don't know how they'll handle it if Win 10 was installed.  If they have to reformat your HDD and reinstall Windows or replace the HDD completely, you're going to lose all your personal files. So you better ask, if this problem involves having upgraded to Win 10...

December 14th, 2015 07:00

I'm on my second motherboard that was under an extended warranty with Dell. I upgraded to Win10 Pro and had a seamless upgrade. However, I upgraded to a SSD drive and used the 2 TB internal drive as my backup and DR drive.  However, I've just gone black and cannot boot up to the BIOS.  Motherboard is on back order and I'm pushing for a replacement desktop. 

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

December 14th, 2015 09:00

"I'm pushing for a replacement desktop."

This could only happen if the originally purchased system warranty were still active or you had purchased the additional 2 year warranty extension. If Dell sent you a motherboard replacement after the system warranty had expired, the warranty period for that motherboard was only for 90 days.

21 Posts

December 15th, 2015 19:00

RoHe, thanks for jumping in, I'll check with out of warranty repairs.  Assuming I can ship the computer to at a reasonnable cost, the $269 mobo replacement is a good price.  I did upgrade to W10 went in came out and 2710 had been working flowlessly.  It went dark after I stupidly changed the SATA CACHE mode which I thought should have been set to RAID mode to accomodate my PC optional MSata 32GB cache card.

Take care.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 16th, 2015 11:00

Seems Win 10 works ok for a while on the 2710, but then something goes wrong and the screen is black.

If you search these forums, there's a long thread about this problem with the 2710. One user posted that he managed to rescue his 2710 by doing various things, but I don't know if anybody else was able to recover using his method. So it may or may not work for you...

BTW: If you're outside the USA, that price for out-of-warranty repair may or not be accurate...

21 Posts

December 16th, 2015 12:00

Thanks, I am in the US, checking with DELL now...

21 Posts

December 16th, 2015 15:00

So DELL is telling me they don't have mobos...  and advise to get it fixed at Best Buy.  What a bunch of knuckle heads!  Computer is just over two years old.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 16th, 2015 17:00

I gather from posts in other threads that Dell is out of the 2710 motherboards. I have no idea if they'll restock it. My guess is probably not since it's an older system.

Find that other thread where the user posted how he resurrected his 2710 and see if that works for you. Best I can suggest at this point...

21 Posts

December 19th, 2015 09:00

Amazingly, after trying many of the suggested fixes I found in various posts, my XPS 2710 came back to life.  I am not sure exactly how but I pretty much managed to get access back to the BIOS by inserting Dell's OS reinstall disc and let the computer sit.  After a few minutes, BIOS screen popped up, I pressed F9 to reset it to defaults, wiped out the C: drive and reinstall the OS.

21 Posts

December 19th, 2015 11:00

No kidding...  Sticking to Win 7 on that one.

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 19th, 2015 11:00

Just don't reinstall Win 10 again.  And consider this your lucky day! :emotion-5:

10 Posts

December 23rd, 2015 06:00

Hi RoHe,

Do you happen to have the link to the post with the possible solutions? I can't find it…  i'm stuck in a boot loop since more than two months and dell support in Austria is possibly worse than anywhere else!

Thanks a lot in advance!

Giulio

10 Elder

• 

43.7K Posts

December 23rd, 2015 12:00

EDITED: A boot loop may not be the same problem. You may need to reinstall Windows, just NOT Win 10.

Did you try telecam's fix?

Cwrighty posted in this thread:

I've recently experienced the same issue and managed to resolve it by (eventually) re-flashing the bios, so hopefully this post might be of use to anyone else who has this problem.

As OP described, my 2710 would also power up, no dell logo, screen would appear to turn on, and then a few seconds later turn off. 

Tried resetting bios, removing memory, hard drive etc. with no luck, however on the very odd occasion after about an hour or two constantly rebooting, holding down the power button when it was on, off, leaving it for a while etc etc, it DID boot into windows!! However, reboot and exactly the same problem. 

Anyway 3 days later, I had managed to get into windows a couple of times times. On the final time I re-flashed the bios A12 and its been working fine all day.

To re-flash the bios I had to run update from command prompt with parameter /forceit so it didn't complain it was already up to date.

So back to Windows 8.1 for the moment. Not great but at least its not a £1500 brick. With regards to Windows 10 is frying the motherboard - I reckon is complete ***, but it/something/ is possibly somehow corrupting the bios?? 

10 Posts

December 29th, 2015 13:00

Thanks RoHs!

I'm pretty positive mine is also a corrupted BIOS problem. Unfortunately, i cannot even reach the dell logo, the Pc stays on for max. 1 Second. No way of flashing the bios or reinstalling any OS here. also tried to let it reboot constantly, wishing of a lucky stroke, but i decided to give up after two days and no results.

BUT there is a little bit of hope out there: I checked the MB and was finally able to locate the BIOS chip, so technically it could be possible to reprogram it via a soic test clip or change it for a new (and reprogrammed) one. The Bios chipmodel on my MB is Winbond 25q64fvsig.
Some more details on how to do it on this page. I didn't try it yet though.

diy.viktak.com/.../how-to-recover-laptop-after-failed-bios.html

This is pretty complicated, and hopefully there is another way to do it. probably i'm wrong, but there may be an integrated way to restore the ROM on the motherboard... in the picture  attached we can see 7 holes indicated by the box "ROM RECOVERY": does anybody know how to use that? Or is it simply the cache used by the clear CMOS Jumper? And if so, is it possible to recover the Cache in case it is also corrupted?

So, that's all I discovered for now, as 2710 motherboards are impossible to find here, i'm willing to try and repair it on my own.. it can't be worse than it is now anyway ^^

Thanks for any useful hint on this!

Giulio

No Events found!