Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2016 19:00

Need Step-by-Step Instructions For Replacing Hard Drive in Inspiron 2330 All-in-One

Hi,

First let me say that I am not a computer expert, so I am not especially well-versed in all of the computer jargon. I apologize in advance for that. I have an Inspiron All-in-One 2330 that is about 2.5 years old.  I recently noticed that the left side of the screen was looking blurry, so I ran a diagnostic test. Apparently the hard drive is operating outside of the parameters or words to that effect. It is recommended that I replace my hard drive. 

I am not inside the warranty, so I have to do it myself. This scares me. Can someone point me in the direction of explicit instructions of (1) how to actually replace the hard drive, and (2) how to put the operating system (Windows 10) back on my computer.  I am currently backing up my files, so that is one thing I know how to do!

Thanks in advance.

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

November 1st, 2016 01:00

Hi,

Please refer to Pg no. 43 for removing and reseating the hard drive in the link below.

http://dell.to/2ehGZaM

Also, we request you to provide us with the following details through private message so that we can check for more details. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

1. The service tag of the system.
2. Your email address.
3. The registered owner name of this system.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 1st, 2016 12:00

Personally I would replace the computer because an all in one is much like a laptop so the lifespan is shorter than a desktop--usually 3-4 yrs. You could replace the hard drive and still have screen problems or create new ones. Screen problems and failing hard drive are normally not related. But if you are brave--the replacement is not easy--use the Create Media site to make reinstallation media here-- support.microsoft.com/.../windows-create-installation-media  to reinstall the exact same version of windows 10 you have now. The license is on the MS Servers so you will not have any problem with reactivation. Make the reinstallation disk or thumb drive now before replacing any parts.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 2nd, 2016 07:00

Telling someone to go to Page 43 is wrong because it skips 8 steps that MUST be done Prior to getting at the hard drive. 
Hard Drive WARNING:

DO NOT WORK ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE POWER CORD ATTACHED.  REMOVE THE POWER CORD ENTIRELY

Before working inside your computer, read the safety information
that shipped with your computer and follow the steps in "Before You Begin" on page 9. For additional safety best practices information, see the Regulatory Compliance Homepage at dell.com/regulatory_compliance.

CAUTION: To avoid data loss, do not remove the hard drive while the computer is On or in Sleep state.
CAUTION: Hard drives are extremely fragile. Exercise care when handling the hard drive.

Removing the Hard Drive

Prerequisites
1. Remove the stand. See "Removing the Stand" on page 17.
2. Remove the back cover. See "Removing the Back Cover"
3. Remove the VESA-mount bracket.
See "Removing the VESA-Mount.

Remove Back Cover

There are 4 screws on the bottom edge holding the Back cover on.

REMOVE VESA MOUNT BRACKET COVERING HARD DRIVE.

Remove Hard Drive Procedure
Disconnect the optical drive's power and data cable from the routing guides on the hard-drive cage.

Disconnect the power and data cable from the connector on
the hard drive.

Remove the power-supply cable from the routing guide on the
hard drive cage.

Remove the screw #5 that secures the hard-drive cage #6 to the chassis.

Slide the hard-drive cage toward the top of your computer and remove
the hard-drive cage off the chassis.

Remove the screws that secure the hard-drive cage to the hard drive.

Slide the hard drive out of the hard-drive cage.

No Events found!