Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2010 15:00

Need help recovering from an "optimizer" app; clarification in message body...

Hello all,

I made the mistake of using a so-called "optimizing" app on my computer.  It's a XPS/Dimension 400/9150, but I upgraded to Windows 7.  All was well... then I used this app.  I won't name it unless someone says that it's okay to do so.  It made wonderful claims that it'd fix this and that, speed up certain things, etc.  Well, now my computer is screwed...

When going to "My Computer", the only drive that shows up is my "C" drive.  I'd love to know what happened to my CD and DVD drives, as they no longer appear.  I discovered this when I went to copy a DVD to my hard drive.  Also, I use Firefox as my default browser.  It's hard to describe its bizarre behavior; if you click on anything (including to "X" to close the browser!) it'll take several repeated attempts before anything "takes".  I don't want to say it "reloads", but it does kind of... I'm sorry; I don't know how to describe it.  Though, I tested Internet Explorer and it works fine...

Yes, I have tried reinstalling the drivers, reinstalling Firefox, etc... but nothing's working.

I've used apps in the past that claim to "enhance" a system's performance and I should've known better, as those apps never really seem to do any good.  However, I've never encountered one that messes with your browser, makes drives disappear and such.

Can someone please help me to possibly resolve some of these issues?

Thanks in advance,

Justin

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

September 9th, 2010 15:00

Hi Justin,

Optimizer, huh?

Try the CD/DVD Fix (link below). I'm pretty sure that will fix the CD/DVD problem.

For software issues, I'd suggest you try posting in the Microsoft OS forum.

Good luck!

20 Posts

September 9th, 2010 16:00

Wow!  I'm blown away by how simple the fix was.  Indeed, it worked like a charm!  Thanks so much :)

I guess my only issue now is to determine what's wrong with Firefox, but I don't know where to post that.  Actually, since this is a Dell forum, I probably should contact Mozilla about my problem rather than posting on this site, as it'd be unfair/inappropriate to ask for help with that issue since Dell has nothing to do with Firefox... right?

Anyway, thanks again!  Amazing assistance :)

Have a great one!

- Justin

3 Apprentice

• 

2.6K Posts

September 9th, 2010 18:00

If I could throw in my 2c:

System Restore might undo whatever else that program did.  I'm not a Win7 user,  but my understanding is the restore features are much more robust than they were on XP:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/System-Restore-frequently-asked-questions

EDIT:  Removed extraneous comments.  Too much preaching to the choir. :emotion-4:

No Events found!