Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 13th, 2014 13:00

Need to add second video card to Precision 690

I currently have a Quadro FX 1700 running a 30" monitor and a 24" monitor in Precision 690. I would like to add a second video card to run a third 24" monitor. I have some extra PCI-E cards laying around but none of them fit any of the empty slots. I have two available slots labeled PCIX and one slot labeled PCI. I have compared video cards interfaces on a online retailer and I can't find a card that matches any of the slots. What am I missing? I'm fairly computer literate but this has me stumped. Surely Dell doesn't use proprietary slots!!!! What video card will work? Thanks

4 Operator

• 

34.2K Posts

March 14th, 2014 17:00

Hi Pesaeng,

Here is your manual: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-690_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

On page 6 is a layout of your motherboard. Your current video card is probably in the PCIe x16 slot. You still have three PCIe x4 slots, a regular old fashioned PCI slot, two PCI-X slots. There are no video cards for PCI-X, only PCI or PCIe.

2 Posts

March 17th, 2014 08:00

Yes, the main video card is in the PCIe x16 slot. So it looks like the PCI slot is the "conventional" PCI 1.0 format. Probably unlikely I would be able to find a card to fit that slot. I did find some PCIe x1 cards but no PCIe x4 or x8 cards. I just need a low end video card for this third monitor to display text/email files. Thanks for the info Osprey4.
No Events found!