Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 6th, 2008 12:00

Need upgraded to best video for 755 Any suggestions?

The Current Video is the HD2400 PRO/XT 256. I would like to upgraded this to the best video card supported possibly something in 512MB Ram is that possible?

This is not used for gamming but as a mid level Autocad PROE machine, everything works great, I get a little lag with really large drawings, the RAM is 4GB XP OS.

Any Suggestions on Besst Video I can get ?

17 Posts

February 6th, 2008 13:00

Sorry my 755 is the Desktop format, not the small one.

650 Posts

February 6th, 2008 13:00

what form factor is your 755?  Desktop, Mini-Tower?  etc...
Message Edited by lpprikej on 02-06-2008 09:41 AM

650 Posts

February 6th, 2008 16:00

ok, pretty sure on the 755 Desktop, you could have 2 possible combinations currently.  Because you may have a riser.  But going by the fact that you have a HD2400 PRO/XT installed, you surely have PCIe X16 but if you DON'T have a riser installed, you can only use Low-Profile cards.  The easiest way to tell without opening the PC is to see which way the card is laying now looking at the back of the PC where the monitor is hooked up.  If the Desktop is laying down, which it is most likely, hence Desktop, which way is the card and monitor connector laying. Left-Right or Up-Down ?  If its Up-Down, there is no riser card which means you are limited to Low-Profile vid cards.  If it is left-right, that means you have the riser card installed and therefore you can use Full HEIGHT, Half Length video cards.

Low profile i suggest you get something like:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133210

Full height:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133191

Now they are truly the type of cards you want for CAD. Dells spec on the x16 slot are tough though as they say 25W only for the video card.  So i THINK that the FX560 is one of the lower wattage hungry cards. 

If you just prefer to spend less and get better than your current ATI card, and to be sure you are below the 25W threshold i suggest: (For FULL height)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134003

The 7600GS series will beat the HD2400 series hands down.

17 Posts

February 6th, 2008 19:00

The current card is about 6.5 inches long. The pc is the largest one in the line up the Mini-Tower. From what I found on the tech spec site it says

2 full height PCI
-( H: 4.2" X L: 11")
1 PCIe x16 full height graphics,
The case sits upright, and the video on the back is left to right, so does this sound right? I can get the  PCIe full height card, I popped the lid and there is no riser coming out of the board it goes right into the PCIe slot.
Thanks,

650 Posts

February 7th, 2008 16:00

ok, if its a Mini-Tower, you can use Full height cards.  So disregard the Low-Profile I mentioned.  Which you then have a 305w PSU, in reality its like having a 400-450w "Generic" psu.  And you dont have the 25w restriction either.  Its 75w which is the PCIe x16 spec prior to 2.0.  So I would surely get an nVidia Quadro like the one i posted above, the FX560 or you can try a nice 8800GT (NOT Quadro) too.  That is about the best with the stock PSU.  Again, 3d rendering/cad/design etc will run best/fastest on a Quadro compared to other normal gaming cards.

Message Edited by lpprikej on 02-07-2008 01:04 PM

February 8th, 2008 10:00

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I also have an Optiplex 755.  It is a desktop model.  Currently, it is not equipped with either a video card (runs off the integrated Intel 3100 chipset) or a riser card cage.  The specification states maximum 25w power to the video card.  I have looked at a lot of video card manufacturers sites to get details on power requirements for various cards but none seem to provide this information.  I would appreciate any advice on how to determine which cards meet the power requirements.  I will install a riser card cage if it gives me the option to install a more powerful video card than the half height cards available.  Any assistance or advice will be appreciated.

17 Posts

February 8th, 2008 11:00

Is there one up from the 560 you recommend?

650 Posts

February 8th, 2008 11:00

@99bignick99 wrote:
Sorry to hijack this thread, but I also have an Optiplex 755.  It is a desktop model.  Currently, it is not equipped with either a video card (runs off the integrated Intel 3100 chipset) or a riser card cage.  The specification states maximum 25w power to the video card.  I have looked at a lot of video card manufacturers sites to get details on power requirements for various cards but none seem to provide this information.  I would appreciate any advice on how to determine which cards meet the power requirements.  I will install a riser card cage if it gives me the option to install a more powerful video card than the half height cards available.  Any assistance or advice will be appreciated.
its np..  Here is a good reference to video card wattage draw.

650 Posts

February 8th, 2008 12:00

@DSMXP wrote:
Is there one up from the 560 you recommend?
The FX1500 is a HUGE increase in performance.
but its pricey if you can find it.  Decide how much you would like to spend and narrow it down from there.
Here is one in stock.
remember, the 1500 beats the 1700. Dont let numbers fool you.
That 1500 is nice and does not need any ext power hooked either. Its max draw is 65w too.
Message Edited by lpprikej on 02-08-2008 08:25 AM

February 9th, 2008 11:00

Thanks for this information and your prompt reply.  Really interesting reading.  If 25 watts is the limitation, then there probably is no use getting the riser card cage as the ATI 2400 XT is probably as good a video card as is feasible.  But one last thought before giving up.  25 watts seems to be the limitation of power that can be supplied through the PCIe bus.  Do you know if is possible to install a video card that requires more than 25 watts but has a seperate power input?  Many of the more powerful video cards have these.

650 Posts

February 11th, 2008 16:00

@99bignick99 wrote:
Thanks for this information and your prompt reply.  Really interesting reading.  If 25 watts is the limitation, then there probably is no use getting the riser card cage as the ATI 2400 XT is probably as good a video card as is feasible.  But one last thought before giving up.  25 watts seems to be the limitation of power that can be supplied through the PCIe bus.  Do you know if is possible to install a video card that requires more than 25 watts but has a seperate power input?  Many of the more powerful video cards have these.
i dont know for sure, but here is a possible issue. The PCIe standard is said to be Up to 75W, so even when a card has external power, that usually mean it could take up to 75W from the slot, and any other power from the External power.   I think because the Desktop 755 was built as an "Energy Efficient" model, this may be why the 25w limitation.
I would think Dell would be selling more higher end cards if it were possible, but again, I just cannot answer that for sure.  sorry

2 Intern

• 

2.4K Posts

February 11th, 2008 20:00

I have a nVidia GeForce 8600GT with combo riser in my desktop 755 and everything works just peachy

February 12th, 2008 10:00

Thanks for your comments.  I would appreciate some information on the video card you are using in the 755 desktop.  Manufacturer?  Model?  Active or passive cooling?
No Events found!