Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 5th, 2013 19:00

New Dell Inspiron 2330 AIO Touch wont start.

I recently bought Dell Inspiron 2330 AIO Touch with top specs (i7, 2TB,8GB, Win8). Have used it since one month. While browsing web the desktop turned blue saying an error message and that the computer will restart on its own. When it didn't after some time I switched off the mains and restarted it. Now it powers on but even BIOS does not boot or there is no Dell logo also kind of like failed POST while the fan keeps running continuously which used to just run for a second or two when it used to boot normally. It had happened before a couple of times that while watching youtube videos the same error occured but it never failed to restart normally. Kindly help me to resolve this issue.

1.5K Posts

September 5th, 2013 21:00

Hi Puneetrai,

Try releasing the residual charge from the system. Here are the steps:

• Disconnect any external peripherals (flash drives, printers, external hard drives) from the computer including the power supply.
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds.
  • Reconnect the power supply. Try to restart the computer and check.

If the issue still persists, perform Built In Self-Test (BIST) on power supply. There is a Green LED and BIST Button above the power cord connector. If the LED glows solid green on pressing the button when the system is plugged in to the wall socket the Power Supply Unit is functioning OK.

The power button LED is a bi-color light that indicates the Dell Inspiron One 2330 power state. Please share which state it is in when you try to boot the system:

• Off
  • Solid White
  • Solid Amber
  • Blinking Amber

The system can emit a series of beeps during start-up if the display cannot show errors or problems. These series of beeps, called beep codes identify various problems. Please share if hear any specific patter of beep codes on startup.

Hope this helps. Please share the results. I'll be happy to assist you.

4 Posts

September 6th, 2013 00:00

I have found the problem. It is in the memory slot 1. I have two RAM
modules (original Dell) and both work fine in memory slot 0 but none work
in slot 1, and when inserted, either alone or together in all combinations,
the computer gives out 4 short beeps repeatedly and the fans keeps running.
I live in Doha, Qatar. So please kindly let me know if I should just put an
8GB RAM module in slot 0 (and will it support) or get the slot 1 repaired
by authorized service center to work as before and hope no additional
problems crop up due to disassembly and soldering etc. (The LED above the power terminal and
next to a wavelike sign is solid green and not any other).

Many thanks for the prompt reply,
Regards,
Puneet

1.5K Posts

September 7th, 2013 00:00

Hi Puneet,

Appreciate your efforts and expertise in isolating the issue. Dell has not tested this system with a single 8Gb module and possibly it might not work as well. You will need to get the motherboard replaced. Please contact the Dell's Authorized Service center to get the repairs done.

Please refer to the link http://dell.to/15KV95i to find the contacts whom you can reach out to get the system repaired.

Please reply if you have any questions.

4 Posts

September 16th, 2013 11:00

Hello,

I took the PC to the authorized service center as suggested and they told me that the RAM slot as well as the processor is defective and needs to be replaced. Still under warranty so I will not be charged probably. It left me with disbelief though that a brand new machine from a company like Dell could have so many problems. Kindly enlighten me if this is possible or I hope I'm not being taken for a ride and what could have caused all these problems if true.

1.5K Posts

September 17th, 2013 00:00

Hi Puneet,

Apologies for the inconvenience caused. The issue is with the memory slot which needs replacement. Since it is embedded on the motherboard, the entire motherboard will be replaced.

I doubt it to be an issue with the processor as generally processors do not fail so early. Also, you should have got 7 beeps instead of 4 as indicator of hardware failure if processor would have failed. I would recommend you to get it rechecked with the repair center and check with them what exactly is the issue with the processor.

We believe in manufacturing and delivering quality product, however, still a failure has occurred and we apologize for it. Since your system is under warranty, you shall not be charged for repairs.

Please reply if you have any questions.

14 Posts

November 10th, 2013 15:00

I have a similar issue. Inspiron 2330 when I turn it on, screen is blank and no beeps, post etc. Tried taking out ram and clearing cmos battery but still nothing, And Dell's site no longer list authorized service centers. And of course, typical, it's 1 year and a couple of months old so the warranty is over.

3 Posts

November 21st, 2013 04:00

I am having the same issues.I checked the power source after following your instructions and it indicated the power was ok. But upon trying to power up the computer the LED light would not come on at all.There is a clicking noise when I try to power computer up.

1 Message

July 8th, 2014 20:00

I am have the same issue with no post and the fans are running.  I replaced the memory with known good RAM and still the same problem.  I just replaced the system board with a Dell factory refurbished part and have the same problem.  I press the test button for the PSU and the CPU fan runs at high speed.  Any help would be great.

3 Posts

March 11th, 2015 18:00

I also have the same issue. When I turn it on, the fan runs and the computer does not go to the splash screen. The LED on the side for the power turns on and the LED on then back is green even while I press the power test button. My computer makes no beeping noise. What can I do to troubleshoot?

4 Posts

March 12th, 2015 04:00

Seems like hardware problem. Best to take to dealer for checkup and repair. I had my motherboard replaced. Have had no problems since. Works perfectly. Good Luck.

April 4th, 2015 12:00

I have the same symptoms.  At first (when cold) the computer will boot to Windows 8 and you get the sign on screen.  If you enter your password the signon completes and everything appears normal, but then it restarts after 2 minutes.  After a few cycles of this it only turns on for a few seconds and then you can hear the over-current protection in the PSU pop and it cuts off and restarts.   Windows does not have a chance to load.  It appears that the computer is drawing a little more than the 200 W that the power supply is rated for.  But only if you sign in to Windows. Once that little circuit breaker is warm it will prematurely trip within 1 minute of power-on.

If you let it go cold and then instead of booting to Windows 8 you press F12 and run Diagnostics it will run for hours and all the diagnostic tests pass.  The PSU, processor, Hard Disk, Memory and all other tests pass.  The power test button also shows green.   Is this a problem with Windows, the motherboard or the power supply?

1 Message

February 5th, 2016 20:00

I have same problem... Computer does not boot up, only fan runs.  I did the 20 second discharge, BIST light glows solid green, power button is solid white, and no beeping sounds.  It's a dell Inspiron one 2330, about 3 years old.  Thank you

2 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 07:00

This is a common issue with these PC's and Dell refuses to accept that there is an inherent fault with the units.

Complete scam as far as I'm concerned; I spent a good two or three hours on the phone to Dell who refuse to help without charging through the nose.... now I have a fancy looking £900 paperweight.... thanks Dell.

1 Message

June 4th, 2016 18:00

Add mine to the list, I will never ever purchase another dell computer ever. What a scam.

They should accept the fact that this is a manufacture defect.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2016 00:00

Add mine as well. Exactly the same problem. No Boot, beeps, logo, fan runs continuously, nothing on screen. However screen does work extremely well as a simple monitor. Just change the input to VGA or HDMI by using small buttons above power switch. It even sets itself to the computer being used.

I'm still very angry with Dell. I also spent time on the phone and the "tech" played dumb as if it's never been a problem. It's sealed their fate with me and my family. 2 members are due to update their Dells, neither will be doing so, and neither will I .  My brand new Tower arrived today, leaving anything Dell sells for dead. Plus I won't be tethered to buying only Dell model specific parts again. Back to the good old (pre Dell) days of mix 'n match.  

Goodbye Dell, for a short while I expected my system to last longer than warranty plus 99 days. My problems are now posted on both my Facebook pages plus a few computer sites.  NEVER AGAIN.

No Events found!