Desktops General - Read Only

Last reply by 12-28-2008 Solved
Start a Discussion
Not applicable

New Dell question regarding HD capacity

I have a new Dell Inspiron 518 with 640 G Hard Drive.  When I started up it read 581G with 560G free.  I have not installed but two small softwares and have not transfered any files from my old computer.  10 days later, I am reading 581 G with 519 free or 80% free.  It seem that all I have to do is start the computer up and it looses drive space.  Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

Solution (1)

Accepted Solutions
5 Rhenium

[quote user="msurvey"]Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

Hello msurvey, This is normal and you are reading it correctly.

As you use the system, this capacity will fall slightly for a while every time you use it.

The system will create System Restore Points, usually once every day, that consumes a small amount of the drive capacity, until it reaches a predetermined amount and then will start removing the oldest System Restore Points as new ones are created.

Hope this explains the issue and helps.

[/quote]

Hi, Also your WINSXS folder will use up to 9GB as well.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

View solution in original post

Replies (2)
4 Tellurium

Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

As you use the system, this capacity will fall slightly for a while every time you use it.

The system will create System Restore Points, usually once every day, that consumes a small amount of the drive capacity, until it reaches a predetermined amount and then will start removing the oldest System Restore Points as new ones are created.

5 Rhenium

[quote user="msurvey"]Is this normal or am I just not reading this correctly?

[/quote]

Hi, Also your WINSXS folder will use up to 9GB as well.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

Latest Solutions
Top Contributor