Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 18th, 2013 06:00

New GPU and PSU, PC fails to boot.

After installing a new HD7770 and XFX 450W PSU, the PC fails to boot  :(  

There is no monitor signal, it doesn't even show the bios screen, and after the initial hard drive start up noise there is no more activity after this. The power cable is attached, and I have tried a different power cable. I am trying to connect through HDMI.

Putting in my old graphics card, or using the onboard is fine without the new card installed. Putting in the HD7770 with no power cable connected is also fine, using the onboard graphics. There is no option in the BIOS to disable the onboard graphics.

I have also tried another HD7770 and experience the same problem.
I have also updated the BIOS to A08 (as A10 would not install).

Here are the specs:

Dell Inspiron 620
Intel Core i3 3.1GHz
8gb ram
Win 7 64 bit
XPX 450w
Gigabyte HD7770 ghz edition.

249 Posts

July 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi wistern,

Good day and welcome to the community!

Thanks for reaching out to us. It seems that HD7770 will not be able to run with DELL Inspiron 620 as it is not compatible with the system. It's a good thing that you have updated the PSU. However, the Video card may not work well with the Motherboard. You may need to consider installing/upgrading using a different card. Hope this helps. Glad to assist.

Thanks and Regards,

1.3K Posts

July 18th, 2013 08:00

Hi Wistern,

Welcome to Dell Community Forum.

Did you see any error message when trying to update to BIOS Version A10? Since the system works fine with the previous graphics card and both HD7770 cards have not worked on your computer, this may be indicative of compatibility issues.

It is recommended that prior to upgrading graphic cards, you check system compatibility and requirements.  Minimum recommended system power supply wattage is based on the specific graphics card and the typical power requirements of other system components. Depending on this, your system may require more or less power. The Core Clock Speed requirement of the HD7770 graphics card may also be on the higher side.

NOTE: We do not recommend or suggest upgrading this graphic card to the system. Any damage caused due to upgradation would not be covered within warranty. Upgrading this graphic card on this system is the sole discretion of the user.

Please reply if you have further queries.

Thanks and regards,
Babita S
#iworkforDell 

For easy access to drivers, manuals and product updates, please visit our Support Site .

2 Posts

July 18th, 2013 11:00

Hi Babita and Andrew

Thank you for you swift replies.

Babita - the error message when attempting A10 BIOS upgrade was GetMeVersion Error, GetLastError = 2. I am aware of the increased power needed, hence the upgrade of the PSU to a wattage able to run the HD7770. I am not sure what you mean by Core Clock Speed requirement - these were not listed on the manufacturer website.

Andrew - thank you for your clear answer, albeit a little disappointing to hear. The card is now RMA. I still want to upgrade my GPU, so is there any sure way of avoiding buying another incompatible card? Or is it just pot luck?

249 Posts

July 19th, 2013 09:00

Hi Wistern,

You're most welcome. I do understand your point and interest in doing the upgrade. As I have researched on this model. I have here the recommended options for the video Card:

- NVIDIA® GeForce® GT420.

- AMD Radeon HD 6450.

- AMD Radeon HD 6670.

You can refer to this models. For anything else, just let me know and I'm glad to assist further.

Thanks and Regards,

1.5K Posts

July 19th, 2013 10:00

If you want a video card that has equal or greater performance over the HD 7770, I would suggest the HD 6850 HERE.  It's getting harder to find these now, but I have seen others use the HD 6850 in their 620.  You obviously don't want a low-end card if you have upgraded your power supply and have intentions for gaming.  The HD 6850 was very popular and it does rank above the HD 7770 in performance.  Sapphire is AMD's best selling brand.  Good luck! Too bad the HD 7770 did not work. 

My only other suggestion would be to switch to Nvidia and try the GTX 650 Ti HERE.  It is better than the HD 7770 and the HD 6850 and the price is good.  It is also only 6" long so you would have plenty of room.  I think your max fit is 10".  The HD 6850 is 9" long plus you need to account for the six pin connector attaching to the back of it.  The spec. on Amazon's site is not correct for the length. 

What would I do?  Based on the fact that the HD 6850 is overpriced now due to limited stock and you can get a better card for less, I would probably go with the EVGA GTX 650 Ti and hope for the best. 

June 26th, 2015 20:00

Hi Andrew,

I am having the same issue as wistern, Unlike him, here we cant just return a purchased product and get a refun. This card works fine on a computer i bought 2006 may i know why it wont work with Dell inspiron 620 which is 5 years ahead of that old computer. My card is DELL OEM DX5MJ HD7770. . Kindly something i can do. maybe some unofficial bios versions or rolling back the bios version from A10 to previous version or something like that or anything like that..

Thanks and regards

Rahul

No Events found!