Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 8th, 2013 02:00

New Precision T7600 and Windows 8 compatibility - IT'S A NIGHMARE

Hi,

I wonder whether there are any users out there who - despite the alledged incompatibility - have installed Windows 8 on their new Precision workstation (T7600, T5600, T3600).

I find it ridiculous that even almost a full year after Windows 8 was RTM, Dell's top-of-the-line, highest-end, most expensive desktop workstations still do not support it. Which Dell manager in their right mind expects us to pay north of $8000 (in many cases, even more) for a box that does not even support the latest operating system? Let alone, making much of the system configuration obsolete (for example, Windows 7 limits RAM to 192 GB).

The Windows 8 successor, Blue, is almost at our doors (of course, no word from Dell whether that one will be supported, but I guess not).

On the other hand, the last-generation Precisions (T7500, T5500, T3500) all work perfectly with Windows 8 - but then, Dell does not sell those anymore!
I am writing this from a two-year old Precision T7500 with eight screens and 96 GB memory - AND WINDOWS 8 PRO x64. Works like a charm! So why can't Dell make that happen with the new T7600, too??

We need another dozen workstations right now and the first time in many years I am forced to consider workstations from Dell's competitors.

It makes very little to NO SENSE, as Windows 8 especially is MUCH, MUCH better designed under the hood then Windows 7 (let alone XP), when it comes to handling multiple graphic adapters and many monitors (which most Precision operators will have) and also when it comes to large amounts of RAM: Windows 7 only supports up to 192 GB RAM, while Dell sells the T7600 with up to 512 GB (which ONLY Windows 8 supports!!!).

Of course, most of our Vostro systems for the office types have been running Windows 8 out of the box for months, fully supported by Dell. Think about that: I can get a $400 Vostro for my secretary with Windows 8, but my new $8000 Precision, at the cost of 20 Vostros, would HAVE TO run with a four year old operating system that artificially limits my memory to more than half of what the mainboard actually supports. It blows your mind.

I have found three long, distressed reports on the internet about people struggling with Windows 8 and Precision T7600 compatibility (or T3600 in one instance), receiving absolutely no help from Dell in their struggle. One guy bought a T7600 with 256 GB RAM and was only told to "remove and plugin the power cord" when he repeatedly received blue screens in Windows 8. He eventually ordered two AMD FirePros from Amazon (Dell would not even try another graphics card then nVidia) and got W8 to work this way. It's mind-boggling.

From what I have gathered in my research, there are two problem areas with the new Precisions and Windows 8:
- Hibernation / Sleep will likely not work or lead to blue screens
- Nvidia Quadro graphic cards lead to intermittent black screens, but AMD's cards seem to work fine.

Are you aware of anything else that I would have to live with or take into account?

What do you think? If I forego the hibernation feature (useless as it probably would be anyway with 256 GB RAM) and select an AMD card (even though I really prefer nVidia), should I take the plunge?

We had probably more than three hundred Precision Workstations in operation over the last decade, beginning with the Precision 330 back in the day (must have been around 2001) - and this is the first time we are actually considering SWITCHING to HP or Lenovo. It's a real pity!

I hope to see any insights or tips from fellow Precision users. Maybe a Dell evangelist can even chime in and provide some helpful insight.

Cheers,

Mike

[Poll]

August 3rd, 2013 12:00

Hi Yob. So you're saying you have win 8 installed and working for extended periods of time without fault on a dual CPU T7600?

Did you leave the Win8 default drivers installed or did you upgrade with some third party ones? If so, which and from what source. Thanks.

August 7th, 2013 20:00

You're right. Thanks for the heads up.

5 Posts

August 7th, 2013 20:00

I have a Dual T7600 that I got 6 months ago.. I want to install windows 8 as well..when I went to the dell support site it did have windows 8 64 bit listed as an OS option.. it didnt previously

5 Posts

August 12th, 2013 22:00

I installed windows 8 Pro 64bit today on my T7600, once I enabled UEFI support in the bios it installed easily.

I have Dual 8 Core 3.0GHZ Xeons, 32gb Ram, K5000 Quadro and a SSD Boot.. no issues or blue screens so far

I dont use raid..

1 Message

December 8th, 2013 05:00

No problems here installing Windows 8 pro and update 8.1 pro with media centre on my t5600. Done it in RAID 0 with 2 Samsung evo's 250GB on PERC 310 with sas to sata cables(original configuration was with two sas 146GB). I have 2 xeon's e5 2630. :emotion-2:

3 Posts

February 4th, 2014 03:00

I've got Dual E5-2689 @ 2.6 (8Core) 32G RAM, H310 (Currently waiting on ordered H710P) with Two GTX TITANs and two 512GB SSDs in RAID0.

Windows 8 works ok no issues but after 8.1 Update many drivers didn't work stable or properly (Sound Blaster Titanium HD driver for instance and PERC H310 started to have issues with all connected Drives)

GTX TITANS for some reason don't work in SLI (tried HyperSLI software works fine but not preferred way to run the system).

H310 Issues with Copying files form drive to drive (especially large files).

1 Message

February 25th, 2014 12:00

Hi Mike,

I am getting into this now. Having T7500 from 2011, Win 7, after year upgraded up to 96 GB (12 x 8GB) - so far no problems. At purchase specification said it is upgradable up to 192 GB. So just now I saved some extra $$ and  thought to double the memory - but it is not going through. Dell does not provide 16 GB from their stock for this machine. Even it claims that it should be fine up to 128 GB. No - there is not support on this and I will have to look into other solutions. Even Win 7 should support up to 192 GB. It seems there is some incompatibilty - Dell decided to not to support.

Regarding graphic card - NVIDIA Quatro4000 at T7500 - no problems. But at my Dell laptop M6500 with 32 GB memory and QuadroFX3800M - I am getting frequently black-screen-death. I suspect it is related to graphic card ....

Regards,

JB

30 Posts

April 28th, 2014 20:00

RenderFarmer, I am also very confused by the absence of an Intel Chipset driver installer for Windows 8.1 on the Dell T7600 download page.

Can someone confirm that with 8.1 there is no longer ever a need to install chipset drivers from Intel?   Has Microsoft started to incorporate these into the install DVD?

30 Posts

April 28th, 2014 21:00

We tried to use UEFI in the T7600 and that was an abomination.   NOTHING in the UEFI implemented by Dell in the A10 BIOS works correctly.   Every UEFI user interface button gives errors or does nothing.   Calls to Dell support give NO DOCUMENTATION for these features.

I think the only reason to use UEFI would be if you want to boot from a drive larger than 2 GB, using GPT disk type.   If you don't have that requirement, I would stick with legacy BIOS.

30 Posts

April 28th, 2014 21:00

Matt, what are the H310 problems you see copying files from drive to drive?   Has any specific driver update fixed that yet?

No Events found!