Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 4th, 2011 14:00

New RAM, desktop keeps resarting

I have a 4-year old Dell XPS 710, and I just recently replaced the 2GB RAM that I had with 4GB (2x2).  The first time I installed the RAM, I turned the computer on, and I got nothing...no BIOS or anything, just the 1,3,4 diagnostic lights (which apparently don't mean anything).  I tried switching the RAM (stick a from Port 1 to 2, stick b from Port 2 to 1).  Yes, they are in the right place (the two Ports with white brackets), and yes they are fully seated.  Now, when I turn the computer on, it starts up fine, but restarts randomly.  Sometimes it's when I'm doing a lot, and sometimes it's when the computer is idle, with me in the other room.  Is it possible that one of the sticks doesn't work, would the computer still start up?  When I look into the system information, it reads all 4GB.

The RAM that I installed is: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-148-212&SortField=1&SummaryType=0&Pagesize=10&PurchaseMark=&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&VendorMark=&IsFeedbackTab=true&Keywords=%28keywords%29&Page=1#scrollFullInfo

Any help would be, well, helpful.

Thanks,

Christopher

23 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 23:00

So, after trying several different things, someone suggested that even though the guide and Crucial scan say that the Dell XPS 710 can handle PC2-6400, the truth of the matter is that it in fact cannot.  I just yesterday got RAM from GSkill at PC2-5300, and have not had a single problem with it since.  No slow moving computer, no restarts.  Computer reads $GB RAM.

So anyone out there with a Dell XPS 710 and is trying to figure out what RAM to add for an upgrade, use PC2-5300 at the most!  Do not try for PC2-6400!

Thanks all for your input and help.

14.4K Posts

August 4th, 2011 16:00

try running with just one stick at a time installed into slot one. if is boots and runs fine sway that stick with the other one.

From the speck it should work as the mem voltage is 2.0 volt or less.

You can also try resetting the BIOS. but note if you have made any changes to the system or are running a raid setup you will need to note all your settings .

23 Posts

August 6th, 2011 14:00

Well, I took out the stick from Port 2, leaving the one in Port 1.  I turned my computer on, and it started up fine.  I flipped around on the internet a little, to see if anything would happen, and it seemed to work fine.  I checked the system info and it read 2GB RAM (which would be accurate at that point).

I then took that stick out, and placed the other on in Port 1.  When I originally started the computer, it restarted itself during the windows loading screen (where the Windows logo shines away).  After that initial restart, it started up fully.  I've again flipped around a little on the internet, and it doesn't show any problems.  The system info again reads 2GB RAM.  

When I first installed the RAM, the first time I did it the 2nd stick from this post was initially installed in Port 1, and the computer didn't boot up for me.  When I switched the sticks is when it started, albeit with random restarts throughout the day.  Is it possible that the one that restarted when it was alone is the problem, or is it likely that there's some other problem?

23 Posts

August 6th, 2011 21:00

Another update....after a couple hours, the more-than-likely faulty stick having been installed, the computer restarted on me a few times, before I turned it off.  Switched back to the first stick, tried several different things on the internet that would normally cause it to reboot, and it's working fine (albeit a little slower with 1x2GB RAM installed).  I'm thinking that my best course of action from here would be to return the faulty stick to NewEgg for a replacement.  If anyone knows of a better way for me to go about fixing this, that would be great.

Also, would it be better to switch back to my original RAM while I wait for the replacement, or would it be OK for me to stick with the 1 for now?

Thanks,

Christopher

23 Posts

August 6th, 2011 21:00

Well, computer just restarted with what I thought was the good stick in....so either they're both faulty, or something else is the problem.

14.4K Posts

August 7th, 2011 06:00

if your computer runs well on the old ram then I would say that the new ram is not compatible with your system. Dells are very picky about ram, and the 7XX series was more so than most.

Have you tried resetting your bios with the new ram sticks installed

23 Posts

August 7th, 2011 18:00

I can try resetting the BIOS....quick question, is "Clearing the CMOS" the same as resetting the BIOS?

Bottom of this page:  

support.dell.com/.../syssetup.htm

I've reinstalled the sticks, and have been surfing/stress testing on the internet for the passed half hour or so, and haven't gotten  reboot....yet.  I'm waiting for that to happen before I resort to resetting the BIOS.

Also, any idea if running the Dell Diagnostics would help any?  (Dell Diagnostics section in the following page)

support.dell.com/.../adtshoot.htm

14.4K Posts

August 8th, 2011 14:00

Yes resetting and clearing are the same. If your running fine i would wait. Running the Dell diagnostics will not hurt...

23 Posts

August 8th, 2011 15:00

Well, a couple of hours after I posted my last, I went in and the computer had restarted again.  Either way, my sound is now all fuzzy, so I have to check my connections, possibly reseat the sound card.  I recently upgraded the BIOS from 4.0 to 4.1 (or something like that)....will resetting the BIOS return it to the original?

Thanks for all your input here.

1 Message

August 8th, 2011 15:00

Hi, BOH, I personally thinks that Bios wasnt the problem, i had almost same issue as yours that my PC keeps rebooting itself sometimes and i have to turn the CPU off and turn back on after 15 to 30 minutes to fix that reboot thingy.

At 1st i thought it was some power supply failure, but it doesnt make sense tho, so i check with the rams and Graphic card, nothing solved the problem, so i went to check with some forum and i found this link  http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?272831-ASUS-Sabertooth-X58-keeps-hanging-in-an-endless-boot-loop , MY mobo was sabertooth x58 so, after i did what the forum told me to, it seems worked until now, i didnt had the restart issue for about 2 days and still counting.

I will let you know, if anything happens in few more days. Hope it help's ya.

No Events found!