Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 6th, 2009 13:00

New XPS 420 Problem Indicator

I got an on-screen message saying there was a problem caused by Sigmatel C-Major audio driver by Integ. Device Tech. and that I should search computer manufacturer's website for updates.  However my audio seems to be working fine.

Does anyone know what's up with this???

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 6th, 2009 16:00

I have no idea who or what "Integ. Device Tech" is, but if the sound is working OK there is no need for any new drivers.  In addition, there may not be any newer drivers.  Dell only issues drivers, in most cases, if the device does not meet their published specs.

The XPS drivers are HERE  you can check the list and see if there are any newer drivers.  But, also remember the old adage "If it aint broke don't fix it"

2 Posts

January 7th, 2009 05:00

Thanks for the input.  Sorry for the lame abbreviation; the message referred to the Sigmatel audio driver by Integrated Device Technology.

I was assuming that old adage would apply, but you know that other old adage about what can happen when you assume....

Thanks again.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

January 8th, 2009 04:00

Oh, "IDT" and I should have known that, IDT bought SigmaTel last year and renamed it IDT.  I would advise against using IDT labeled drivers, we had a spate back in mid 08 with and IDT driver update that caused havoc with SigmaTel audio (all not just Dell) and the only way around that was either a System Restore back to before the IDT drivers were installed or a complete reinstall.  In additon we have seen users try non-Dell drivers and they either did not work or didn't work correctly.

As mentioned Dell does not do regular updates on the drivers for their hardware like "Retail" companies do.  Retail companies, such as SoundBlaster frequently update their drivers as their products are used in many different hardware configurations and many of their updates only affect certain hardware configurations.  As Dell controls their hardware there is no need for the updates unless it just doesn't work.  There are, for example, some new games that may make use of some new technology but in those cases it's up to the user to install the new technology if they want to use those games.  Another issue is that Dell, HP, Acer, or whoever, are in the business of selling new computers and there is no incentive for them to make upgrades for old hardware.

Sorry for getting "wordy" with my response.

2 Posts

March 3rd, 2010 02:00

Hello

I just reinstalled xp on a dell xps 420 and get the same error every time windows loads : Cannot load STLang.dll. I have Sigmatel driver 5.10.0.4991.

Any ideas ?

No Events found!