Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

KF

February 8th, 2008 10:00

New XPS 420 arrived damaged

This is my first post and my first Dell computer. The computer arrived damaged. I did not notice when I picked it up from the Post Office that the box was damaged a little on the bottom too. I didn't look there. Anyway, the damage is a small dent in the left side panel of the case close to the top front right hand corner under the little LCD screen. I live on a military base in Yokosuka, Japan so I emailed Dell. They recommend to send the whole computer back for an exchange. The computer seems to work fine. I really don't think it's cost and time effective to send it back. I asked to have a case sent to Dell Japan so they can come over to exchange cases or if that won't fly I asked for a rebate or refund for the damaged case.

Can someone please recommend a course of action I could take with Dell to fix my computer? Thanks in advance.

Kevin

131 Posts

February 8th, 2008 12:00

I recommend that you take the exchange that is offered. From my experience they will send you a brand new tower first, all you have to do is put back the damaged tower in the box and use the pre paid shipping bill and send it back. It will cost you nothing, and the shipping company will come over and pick it up.

16 Posts

I pretty sure dell have a contract with certain postal organisations but you can try.

May i also suggest to leave your phone number in the email you send, and request them to call you as you can have all your questions answered without waiting for replies for each email you send.

Good luck!

16 Posts

Hi Kevin
I also received a damaged dell desktop with the casing having a rather large scratch on the side.
I rang dell to see if  i could be sent the side casing for the desktop but they insisted i sent the whole unit back for a replacement.
I told them i won't mind keeping it as i dont have time to wait for another computer providing a small discount be given for the oversight but they still insisted i sent the whole unit back.

All replacements are built with priority over normal orders, so i sent my old desktop back and received my new one within 7 days which is excellent service.  If you want to go down this route just make sure you tell the dell representative that you want it as soon as possible.

If they send you a new case then thumbs up , but if they insist they send for a replacement then you may not have much choice.

QuadSquad

10 Posts

Thank you for the reply. Since I'm in Japan and staioned on the Navy base here I use the U.S. Post Office. That's how Dell shipped it to me too. I wonder if Dell will ship me the new one via FedEx? Looks like I better send another email question in. 

3 Posts

February 8th, 2008 22:00

Like Quad, my new Dell arrived with some big nasty scratches along the side panel!

The don't appear to take much care with them, the packaging was pristine so mine definitely got damaged in production or at the packaging stage....I can live with it though, wasn't worth the hassle of returning it.

:)
No Events found!