Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 20th, 2015 12:00

New XPS 8900 Not Booting

Cathaleen: So if I'm reading you correctly, My XPS 8900 -with windows 10 -is not booting because I connected  the supplied display cable from my new Dell 42414H monitor to the onboard display port during initial boot?

Just to clarify- after I discovered the problem was a missing patch cable for the dedicated display, I used one off an old system, plugged it in on the dedicated display card, and got it to work with an old monitor. I only have one new monitor I want to use with my system.

So it look like I need the cable Dell never sent me and some way to get this thing to boot.  

2.3K Posts

November 20th, 2015 15:00

It shouldn't matter what cable you use, as long as your computer supports it and the monitor supports it.  If you have a dedicated graphics card, your monitor ports on the motherboard should have been covered with plastic covers to prevent you from using them.  If I remember correctly all 8900s should have some form of dedicated graphics.  Most monitors will only support DVI (white cable), HDMI (normally thin black), and/or VGA (blue cable).  Some do use display port but the 8900 doesn't seem to have connections for it.  Also double check the monitor model number.  I couldn't find anything like a 42414H.  I did see a E2414H, which only supports DVI and VGA

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 14:00

FYI:: there were no plastic covers over the disabled inboard display ports.

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 14:00

From what the the service tech told me - when you buy a computer online the components are shipped as separate orders and you have to figure out for yourself what video monitor dispaly cables you need and order those separate too.

We were able to get my pre-crashed from the factory 8900 booted by doing a reinstall from an image on the HD.

To be honest -- I am not happy with all my valuable time I have had to spend fixing a "NEW" COMPUTER I don't want a computers pre-crashed from the factory. What is the best dept to contact for a refund of all my purchaces for this system?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 23rd, 2015 16:00

I am not sure which monitor model you mean, "Dell 42414H monitor" ?

The U2414H User's Guide page 5 states that we ship the following cables =
Power
Mini-DP to DP
USB 3.0

The P2414H User's Guide page 6 states that we ship the following cables =
Power
VGA
DP to DP
USB 3.0

The XPS 8900 can use either of these three video options =

(1) Onboard HDMI Primary, onboard DP as Secondary
Bios- Video- Primary Display- Intel HD Graphics

(2) Onboard HDMI as Primary, onboard DP as Secondary, and the added discrete video card as Tertiary
Bios- Video- Multi-Display to Enabled
Bios- Video- Primary Display- Auto

(3) You may just use the added discrete video card as Primary and Secondary
Bios- Video- Multi-Display to Disabled
Bios- Video- Primary Display Nvidia HD Graphics

8 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 18:00

The monitor is a U2414Hb and thats right - it came with a mini DP cable, a USB upsteam cable and a small (3 inch long) HDMI/mini-HDMI cable.

However; the video/dislay ports on the sand alone card consist of two DVI Dual Link Ports and what appears to be a mini-HDMI port. What I need is cable with a DVI-I Dual Link plug on one end and a regular sized DP plug for the U2414H monitor.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 24th, 2015 07:00

We do not ship a "HDMI/mini-HDMI cable" on the U2414H. We shipped a mDP to DP (Mini-DisplayPort to DisplayPort) cable.

Regardless of the port you use on the U2414H, the resolution will max to 1920x1080.

DVI out ports on a stand alone video card cannot upconvert to a monitor DP or mDP without a costly active converter. If you want to use the stand alone video card, you will need to purchase a mHDMI to HDMI cable.

8 Posts

November 24th, 2015 14:00

Yes you are right again! The 3 inch cable is not a HDMI/MINI-HDMI cable at all. I looked at the link you sent at the bottom of your post and I see it is a mHDMI to HDMI cable. It must have shipped with the XPS 8900. Still does me no good.

Hear me out.

Im just another cog in the wheel for my company just like you guys. I don't know squat about how computers come to the customers nowadays.

What I do know is last time I bought online from Dell (a Dimension 8400 that finally died recently of old age) l ordered all the upgrdes I wanted for the system including a printer to go along with it. All the product arrived at my home around the same time. Importantly, all the cables, accessories and idiot proof instructions came with it to complete a vialble working system.

This time I ordered through my companies employee purchase program (does that make a difference?) I figured since they buy about 35000 computers and servers from Dell we must get a good deal (thats what my company says anyway).

And so my experience this time: I  recieved two brand new monitors (I odered one), 3 1/2 hrs on phone trees and  

Three different personnel with phoney English names. Last one said a shipping label would be sent email. That was aweek ago and no shipping label sent yet.

Next I got a giant industrial sized printer that was obviously a language barrier mistake ( I haven't the willpower to deal with that yet).

Then I get my Crown jewell. My shiny new XPS 8900. Surely this will make up for all my bad luck so far! There it was after working outside in the cold rain for 12 hours. My 12 year old raced home from his friends house after making me promise not to open the box until he was there. And there it is. Hmmm. Where are the manuals?

'They don't have that stuff anymore dad' say my 12 y.o.. 'It's all on the computer'. Ok. Well here's the quick start guide anyway. Ok then. Follow the guide. Hook the monitor up and power on the computer. BLEEP. no display cable connected. Now what? We can't even turn it off! Better call customer support! 4 hrs Later I'm still listening to the song recording  and I have to get up and go to work in 5 1/2 hours. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow.

Next day I'm totally dead but the kid urges me on. Maybe our old monitor will work? So we dig the old monitor and a cable back out of the recycle bin. Hey it works!

We make it through the first 3 screens and click on the proper time zone and click next. The screen then goes dark and the computer restarts on its own. The same dialog appears like nothing ever happened At at the same point the computer reboots in a evidently endless cycle. 'I told you no to buy a Dell!!' My wife screams  unhelpfully from another room. (Her Inspiron recently crashed and she lost important data)

The next day after work I spent the entire evening going through the Dell service phone tree and 5 different operators with me explaining the problem and giving the service tag number before being dished off to the next person. Finally,  I got a helpful person with passable English that helped me restore the system. Unfortunatly he got cut off before it was done and it was late -- another short night of sleep.

Next day we have at least a Bootable computer - but one not seeming to run without a full deck of cards - and we still can't use that shiny new monitor. We have a room full of boxes and no shipping labels.

I hate to admit it . . . But I'm starting agree with my wife.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 24th, 2015 18:00

Click my username. Send me the XPS 8900 service tag number via private message so I can look up the specific bottom video card that is installed.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 25th, 2015 05:00

All Manuals and Drivers are now online. Save these links =
Manuals

Drivers

Video card = Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti, DVI/HDMI

So, all you need is a basic $7 HDMI to HDMI cable from Walmart. We do not provide one with that model or system.

XPS 8900 Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti mHDMI out --> 3" mHDMI to HDMI converter ---> HDMI to HDMI cable --> U2414H HDMI in

1 Message

December 4th, 2015 17:00

I'm in a similar boat.  Bought a new Dell  XPS 8900 ( NVIDA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3) with new Dell monitor U2414H, both ordered in the same order.  Unquestionably, at the time of placement of both in a shopping cart or before, Dell should have told me that I need to buy a cable not supplied with the monitor and what the cable should be.   Dell should have offered the cable at a fair price, which could be more than Walmart charges.  Then I would have been up and running in short order. Instead, all Dell has done is waste a lot of my time and generate a lot of frustration.  Based on several rounds of back and forth, even Dell's service people do not know what is needed.    

Apparently what I need (or at least will work well)  is a HDMI (male) to HDMI (male) cable to connect the computer to the monitor, correct? 

Lloyd

Lloyd

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

December 4th, 2015 21:00

The monitors listed under any system are not "tied" to the video card chosen. The sales site just ships what you choose. We reported this configuration issue to the XPS 8900 sales team but have not seen any changes to the site. The U2414H only ships with the DP to mDP cable. So yes, you need an HDMI to HDMI cable to connect directly to the Nvidia GTX 745.

1 Message

December 10th, 2016 16:00

So are you telling me that I can't use the Onboard DP as a primary and Video card as a secondary????

No Events found!