Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2009 10:00

New case & PSU for Dell 530s

So I've learned my lesson and realized I should have checked the postings before purchasing the slim case. Now it wouold seem that I can't get a new PSU or install the great HDMI enabled video card I received for Christmas. I've been reading the posts and while I'm sure the low-profile video cards are great, they don't seem to have HDMI, only DVI. At this point, I'm ready to rip everything out of the chasis and install into new case. This will allow a beefier PSU (required for the video card), the larger video card, memory card reader, TV card, etc.

My question is: What type of case will fit the current motherboard configuration of the Dell 530S?

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 29th, 2009 12:00

briguy1701

None, it's a completely proprietary motherboard format that's built to fit the 530s case.

You would need to change the motherboard to use a new standard ATX case, plus if a non-Dell motherboard is used, budget for a retail copy of Windows, as Dell's OEM Windows copy is tied to their BIOS.

Bev.

3 Posts

January 30th, 2009 09:00

So it would seem that the 530S is not designed to be substantially upgraded. Bummer!

What about the PSU? Can that at least by upgraded to handle one of the better graphics cards?

3.7K Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

What about the PSU? Can that at least by upgraded to handle one of the better graphics cards?

briguy1701, Im in the same position as you. Your PSU cannot be upgraded, as those PSU are made for the slimline cases. However, you can get the ATI HD 4550 HERE, and the 8600GT ( low profile version ), and the 9500GT  HERE cards into your system. Newegg no longer displays the low profile back plates needed to get the 9500GT into your case.

10 Elder

• 

46K Posts

January 30th, 2009 11:00

briguy1701

Sorry, cannot be done, because the Dell Inspiron 530s, like Dell's other small form factor systems, use a Dell proprietary power supply, due to it's shape and physical size.

Dell's small form factor systems have very limited upgrade capacity.

Bev.

1 Message

February 14th, 2009 15:00

briguy1701,

Good news, it can be done! I bought a 530s about 10 days ago, along with a full size nvidea geforce graphics card, after reading these posts about proprietary blah, I went ahead and bought a 650w ps and a new case, and to test, left everything hooked up inside the case, except the power supply, connected the new one, leaving it sitting on the case, and voila, everything worked, so, the power supply isn't proprietary, and the motherboard isn't proprietary, it's a standard mATX board with standard connections, and so is the power supply, my 530s is now in a large black antec case with a 650w antec ps, and running quite happily ...

Mike

3 Posts

February 15th, 2009 07:00

accurare- Thanks for that information. I thought that the initial posts seemed too pessimistic. When you say mATX, which ATX case are you referring to? There are a number of different types. Please advise.

40 Posts

April 30th, 2009 04:00

accurare- Thanks for that information. I thought that the initial posts seemed too pessimistic. When you say mATX, which ATX case are you referring to? There are a number of different types. Please advise.

Did you get this resolved? I have the VERY Same issue (0RY007 motherboard) And I am wondering, if you attempted this and did it, if you could contact me so we can discuss how you did it.

Reply here so we can contact each other, thanks.

40 Posts

April 30th, 2009 04:00

Mike / Accurare, if you still roam these forums, please reply to me so I can work this out with my dell 530s

Thanks

3 Posts

May 6th, 2009 06:00

i'm about to do this cmhawky.  I will look into positioning and requirements this evening and let you know how i get on.  I'm sure it cannot be that difficult.  i'm only concerned about the positioning of the expansion ports myself.

40 Posts

May 12th, 2009 02:00

i'm about to do this cmhawky.  I will look into positioning and requirements this evening and let you know how i get on.  I'm sure it cannot be that difficult.  i'm only concerned about the positioning of the expansion ports myself.

Hey "adotto", did you get this together well?

I'd very much like you to reply with a happy "yes", of course though, I'd also like to consult this topic with you via an instant messaging program.

For now however, if you reply to this message, I'll give you one of my spam emails you can email me with your IM/MSN/YM and I'll add that to my real address.

Thanks.

170 Posts

May 12th, 2009 03:00

adotto,

Did you make the swap?

I would think there are a few 530s people wondering about your progress!

Let us know how it went.

Is the 0RY007 a standard MicroATX board with standard connections as stated above?

Thank you

40 Posts

May 15th, 2009 05:00

-sigh- Seems the thread died again, got someone saying they'd report back...yet...they don't. False hope.

40 Posts

May 15th, 2009 08:00

Thank you...Thank you! I seriously don't know how many times I can say that without giggling with joy.

Do keep me in touch! I'm watching this thread on a daily basis now!

3 Posts

May 15th, 2009 08:00

Never fear CM, i have not abandoned you.  I just havnt had a chance to complete the change.  I will certainly keep you posted.  Once i finalise my purchases i will let you know.

Cheers,

A

40 Posts

May 17th, 2009 19:00

Never fear CM, i have not abandoned you.  I just havnt had a chance to complete the change.  I will certainly keep you posted.  Once i finalise my purchases i will let you know.

Cheers,

A

Do you know when you may get around to completing this?

Thanks.

No Events found!