Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 7th, 2015 07:00

No Sound to external speakers on Dell Studio 435mt Desktop

Once again Dell is  abandoning the owners of these desktops to fend for themselves.  

Repeated hours long sessions with the Geek Squad has failed to resolve the problem.  Their conclusion is that the sound driver for the Realtek High Definition speakers that came with the PC are not compatible with Windows 10.  Seems that more and more owners of this machine are complaining of the same issue.  The latest solution proposed by the GeekSquad is to install a sound blaster card(?).  Before I spend money on this possible solution, I would like to hear if it worked for anyone else.

Seems to me that the only right solution is for Dell to update the sound driver to one that works with Windows 10.  In the mean time, I recommend that users keep away from Windows 10 until the issue is resolved

The longer this goes on the more the issue will weigh on my choice of computer brand for my next buy.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 7th, 2015 08:00

The longer this goes on the more the issue will weigh on my choice of computer brand for my next buy.

You sound ridiculous. It's a 7-year old desktop. LOL.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

December 7th, 2015 12:00

You have to install DOTNET and Legacy Direct play and the June 2010 Directx patch which puts back DX9 and DX10 drivers.  The windows 10 "UPGRADE" also removes DVD PLAYBACK Codec AND Windows Media Player.

I have upated Dell machines from 2005 and they work fine with windows 10 once the right drivers are installed.

It would be helpful to know the exact model of Dell and 32 or 64 bit windows.

Then you have to install the windows VISTA or windows 7 32 or 64 bit drivers for either the soundblaster or onboard codec.

You have to install Legacy Direct play and DX9 and DX10 drivers from the Directx June 2010 patch.

You download the file and extract to a folder then run DXSETUP.EXE as administrator.

Before previous drivers will work in windows 8 or 10 you have to enable legacy features like DOTNET 2.0 3.5  and Directshow.  You must then install DIRECTX JUNE 2010 DRIVERS by downloading the file and extracting into a folder and running DXSETUP.exe.

Directx June 2010 which you download and extract to a FOLDER then run DXsetup.exe as administrator.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

in control panel, all control panel items,  programs and features, Turn windows features on and off.  You have to be ONLINE when you do this because it will insist on downloading from the internet.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh506443%28v=vs.110%29.aspx

Enable dotnet 2.0 3.5

enable legacy directshow.

Install Directx June 2010 Patch.

Legacy audio APIs such as DirectSound, DirectShow, and the waveOutXxx functions enable applications to get and set the volume levels of audio streams.

Windows Media Source Filter. This behavior was maintained to ensure backward compatibility with applications that used the Windows Media Player 6.4. New applications should use the newer versions of QASF, which make the WM ASF Reader filter the default filter for playing ASF files.

For more information on the Windows Media suite of software development kits, see the Audio and Video section of the MDSN Library.

4 Posts

December 7th, 2015 12:00

Talk about ridiculous, Focus on the problem.  The problem is not the age of the PC, the problem is that before the Windows to update this 7 year old PC was a fully functioning PC.

Glad you'r one of those that can rotate PCs every two years whether or not you need then. In the meantime, offer solutions not diarrhea. 

No Events found!