Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 2nd, 2013 00:00

Ntdlr missing after hard drive replacement

I have a dell Studio Xps 8100. i had to replace my hard drive and used a western digital. After I had copied my image onto the WD, and rebooted my computer now just says NTDLR missing, hit cal alt del to continue.

what do I need to do.

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 01:00

Hi Ppace,

Windows when boots up has to load a specific set of files on the computer before it allows you to log in and NTLDR is one amongst them. Either the NTLDR file has gone corrupt or missing from your operating system. You can as well go ahead and get it repaired. You would need a windows re-installation disk for that.

Please let me know which operating system are you using on the computer? I can give you the steps accordingly.

Another way to fix it is to completely re-install the operating system but you will lose all the data on the computer.

Awaiting for your response.

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 02:00

I am using Windows 7 home edition.

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 03:00

Hi Ppace,

Generally the NTLDR missing error comes in Windows XP. Did you happen to copy the image from XP or did you have XP installed with Windows 7 as well? The only way I can see now to get this issue fixed is by wiping the hard drive completely and installing a fresh copy of windows. For instructions on re-installing Windows 7, click here.

Note: It is strongly advised to backup all your important data from the computer before installing Windows 7.

3 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 10:00

That did not work, it said the motherboard is not supported.

i have a Dell Studio XPS 8100.

I replaced the Seagate Hard Drive with a Western Digital hard drive.

I copied the image from a passport HD over to the Western Digital and that is where the NTDLRerror started.

I now have an error that says : Bootmgr not found.

How can I just reinstall Windows 7?

I dis not get a disk with the computer

Thanks

2 Intern

• 

280 Posts

September 2nd, 2013 22:00

Hi Ppace,

Yes, Bootmgr error is related to Windows 7. This can be fixed by re-installing windows. However, you will lose all the data on the hard drive. Advise you to make a backup of it if possible.

For windows reinstallation, you will need the recovery disks. If you do not have the recovery disks, then please send me your contact details and the system's Service Tag number or the Express Service Code through Private Message by clicking on my name and then click on start conversation. Also send me your email address and the Name of the Account holder under whom the computer is registered.

Note: Do not post any of your personal info here on the open forum.

No Events found!